Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Best beginner anemone?

I know they should be added after 6-12 months but I'm planning an upgrade within that time frame. Would the suggested time frame reset? I'd be using same LR and media, with the addition of either more base or LR, skimmer, and perhaps a refugium.

Anyway, ever since I started working at a fish store I've really wanted to get an anemone but I don't know which would be best. I know most recommend BTAs but I'm not too fond of them. We have one named a reef colored anemone an it looks like a condy but a lot nicer. Any ideas? We also have a blue tip sebae that really catches my eye. Are one of these good future purchases?

Old 01-13-2014, 09:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Forgot to mention I'm upgrading to a ~35g in my bedroom and eventually will purchase a 90+ gallon. So whichever would work best. Also the bedroom tank might be a cube and the larger tank is leaning more towards a longer tank so I can get a tang or 2.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Maybe a sebae. But they can get large. I almost got one for $20 at the LFS. They are nice and their clowns seemed to love it. I think its more of a sandbed anemone.

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I would not do a sebae, they are difficult compared to bta. Rose bta are nice and long tentacle are pretty easy
bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I think they are all pretty difficult in the same way. I had a green bta for about a month and it died deep in my rockwork and literally nuked my tank. Been kinda weary of them since even though my tank is alot more established then it was when i had it. As long as you have really good parameters and strong lighting you should be good. Rose btas are beautiful!

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul87 View Post
I think they are all pretty difficult in the same way. I had a green bta for about a month and it died deep in my rockwork and literally nuked my tank. Been kinda weary of them since even though my tank is alot more established then it was when i had it. As long as you have really good parameters and strong lighting you should be good. Rose btas are beautiful!
True I agree they all are but sebaes, carpets and ritteri are definitely worse than bta or long tentacles. No nem is easy though
bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would definitely reccomend a BTA. They are super hardy (as far as nems go) and will function as hosts for clowns, much more so than a long tentacle.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No one can recommend any nem without knowing your tank and equipment. It really doesn't matter on upgrades, it matters on the conditions, parameter, stability and equipment. People can recommend different nems but the only information you provide is tank size, that's the last thing that is important in successful in keeping a nem. After you upgrade, 6-12 months later, post parameter and history and most important, lighting, only then can any one recommend a species.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:16 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarr19 View Post
I know they should be added after 6-12 months but I'm planning an upgrade within that time frame. Would the suggested time frame reset? I'd be using same LR and media, with the addition of either more base or LR, skimmer, and perhaps a refugium.
When upgrading tank the LR from previous tank does not reset its maturity as long as they are kept wet or under water before moving to new tank. However, at the start your bioload will be limited by the old LR while the new LR are still in the process of being seeded. It would be a good idea to add live stock gradually. Condy is hardy and good for beginner but their sting is more lethal compared to other anemone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:36 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I understand about the parameters, I was asking in regard to tank size as I know some get bigger than others. I should have stated to assume parameters were in check.

Regarding your answers I think I'm going to wait for the larger tank for a BTA so parameters will be easier to maintain. I was also looking at maxi mini nem for the 30g. Any suggestions regarding that? Of course, assuming all parameters are in check.

Tags
anemone, beginner

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com