Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-27-2008, 05:29 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have a friend who has hundreds, and hundreds of multicolored purple,yellow, and maybe alittle pink in there bristleworms in his tank. Alot of them are 1/4inch thick, and very long. He has been battling these things for a couple years, and has tried all the traps and still he cant get any headway. I took him over a arrow crab to try to help, but i did not know how bad he had them. I dont think the crab stands a chance against these worms. What i would do if i had a situation like his is, i would start another temporary tank to put all my livestock in and then i would kill my tank, and then start all over. It would be a drastic move, but after seeing all those hundreds of big thick worms infesting his tank... game over, you cant win. But thats just me and you should not take any of my advice, my experence in saltwater is only 8 months.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:46 AM   #12

I have considered that, but those **** worms are deep in the LR too. I can't nuke the LR because fist there are coral & good living things on it & 2nd because it is the next most expensive thing after the tank-stand-canopy setup. It would be cheaper to sell the clams.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:04 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with what most have already said. The clam was most likely having other issues. How long had you had it? There can be many things that can look to be the culprit. If you had nassarius snails, they probably would have been there too. I won't be getting rid of those for sure. They are the life of your sand bed ...

Bristles have never been an issue from what I have read or seen. Some might get too big for the aquarium ...

Good Luck
Old 06-01-2008, 11:50 PM   #14

The 1st clam to die was a brilliant grade 4 maxima I had for 14months, the second was a 2 inch derasa. Come to think of it, the first casualties were 2x .5inch maximas that I put high up on the rocks for a week. I just assumed large emerald crabs got them. After QTing the survivors, 2 have died & on necropsy I found small bristleworms in them. They died IN QUARANTINE in a isolated, bare tank!!! The survivors that look the best are my teardrop squamosas and maximas that have already attached their feet to LR . Except for an incident where the pH was low for a few hours, I cannot recall any insult to these guys. My pH has been stable for 2 months now. I havent lost anything else in more than 6 months and these are the first clams I lost ever.

This weekend my LFS refused to release an gorgeous carpet anemonae that arrived for me because they were sure the worms would get that too unless I controlled them - I didnt fight too hard. 3 LFSs that sell lotsa clams (& have been in business for over 50yrs combined) quickly concluded that bristleworms are the culprits and have lent me 2 different commercial traps and a DIY type. I have finished moving everything off the sandbed and will setup the traps this week. Ill post the results. LET THE SHOCK AND AWE BEGIN!
Old 06-02-2008, 12:28 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Is this the tank with all these clams:

75 gal with:
"1 lawnmower blenny, 1 mandarin, 4 blue chromis, 1 royal gramma, 1 six-line wrasse, 2 mated gold stripped marron clownfish, 2 mated oscellaris clownfish, 1 flame angel, 2 bartlett anthias, 1 copperband butterflyfish, 1 pacific blue hippo tang (2.5 inches), 1 sailfin tang (2.5 inches), one yellow tang (3 inches), and now powder blue #2 (2nd try). Its been 2 months and he still has 1-2 ich spots but is getting fat behind the head."

I think bristleworms are the least of your concerns.

A LFS not selling clams for because of bristle worms is crazy IMO.

If you are keeping all these fish, clams and SPS, you are taking it all on. I do the same as well but my system volume give me a little buffer. Opinions will always differ though.

Hope it works out for you.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:54 AM   #16

thanks for the insult and useless comment

I really did want input on a good bristleworm trap or technique, that is why I posted. Whats the harm in catching some worms? I thought it would be like asking for tips on aptasia, or ick, but it has really brought out the ugly in people. Not everyone needs a five years and a 280 gallon buffer for a reef, but everyone has reef pests at some time.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:47 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry if that came off harsh so this will be my last post in this thread. Misinformation is not what a forum where people learn needs.

We have all made mistakes in this hobby, myself included.

Good luck on the bristleworm hunting.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:18 AM   #18
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Ray, I don't think ellisz meant to insult you or give you useless info. I think a good point was brought up. With all those fish (20), I would suspect some water quality issues. IMO, water quality may be more of an issue than bristleworms.
As far as a trap, I really can't give any opinion as to what works best. I've never found a reason to remove them.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:59 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Seriously I don't think anyone is trying to slam you. We are just trying to point out that it appears your tank is quite overloaded with livestock.

Have you been feeding phyto to the clams? In the tank? That would also have an effect on water chemistry. If not, that could be the reason for the clams demise. Clams under about 3” – 4” need supplemental feedings.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:35 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Well...good luck catching those worms.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clam, clams, worm

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com