best bristle worm trap to save the clams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rayray

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yesterday my oldest maxima clam looked funny, its siphon was gaping open, mantle retracted and not reactive to tapping - it was dead. I took it out, dissected it and found 3x 2 inch bristle worms eating away inside. This clam was vibrantly health previously and doubled in size since I got her 12months ago; it was buried in the sand up to the mantle. I know bristle worms are great detrivours, but I have many other clams, which are now in QT. So at midnight I sneaked up to the tank and shined my red light army-surpus flashight in the rocks and I saw lots of them, some as long a 5+ inches. I need to get them out. My LFSs agree with me.

I already have a 6-line wrasse, be he is asleep at night. I do not want more crabs or shrimp.

What traps have worked for people before and for how long did they use them. My LFS lent me the coralife trap that comes with bait. They, showed me to make the trap with a plastic bottle, saran wrap and a "x" slashed in the opening. They told me about the panty hose trap... I am ready to blanket the tank with 100 traps if that is what it takes.

Why are you so quick to blame the bristle worms? They are probably just feeding on an already dead carcass.

Most bristle worms are simple scavangers, but there are a few species, such as the bright red fire worm, that will eat polyps, clams etc.

You can try an Arrow Crab (Stenorhynchus seticornis) to control them if you must.

bristle worms, fireworms, when in doubt throw it out

I know there is controversy regarding bristle worms. But, Im telling you the clam was fine one day, then dead and having worms in it the next. I already have sand sifting stars, a sea cucumber and dozens of snails/crabs that clean up fine. The LFSs nearby that retail large volumes of clams say they work hard to get them out, even the "harmless ones." The worms, look unattractive and made me feel wierd sticking my hand in the tank at night - I would prefer them attached to a hook as bait.

Your best bet is to experiment with various trap designs because any livestock you add to eradicate bristleworms can also feed upon your clams including that 6line ;) Take into consideration that some species can also reproduce asuexually.

I'm inclined to think that the cause of death to your clam was something other then the worms. Bristleworms are opportunistic feeders and they probably went into the clam after it died. I had a fish die on me and with in a matter of an hour or so it was covered with bristleworms. I doubt that the worms harmed the fish it died and they were feasting on it.

Just a suggestion but you may want to test your water and make sure that something isn't out of whack. I'm not saying that it couldn't have been due to the worms but I doubt it.

arrow crab worse than bristle worms?

CMORE, I hear arrow crabs hunt small fish & eat coral?

Yep, they are known to spear fish and inverts.

Crabs are opportunistic feeders. If they can catch it they will eat it. That's why I don't have any crabs in my tank (ok, I do have one hermit crab left).

The worms, look unattractive and made me feel wierd sticking my hand in the tank at night - I would prefer them attached to a hook as bait.

Whether or not the bristleworm caused the clam's death... no one will ever know for sure. But if you go down the road to rid yourself of all bristleworms, just be aware you're starting a battle you'll never win. As long as you have rock and sand, you'll have bristleworms.

I have a friend who has hundreds, and hundreds of multicolored purple,yellow, and maybe alittle pink in there bristleworms in his tank. Alot of them are 1/4inch thick, and very long. He has been battling these things for a couple years, and has tried all the traps and still he cant get any headway. I took him over a arrow crab to try to help, but i did not know how bad he had them. I dont think the crab stands a chance against these worms. What i would do if i had a situation like his is, i would start another temporary tank to put all my livestock in and then i would kill my tank, and then start all over. It would be a drastic move, but after seeing all those hundreds of big thick worms infesting his tank... game over, you cant win. But thats just me and you should not take any of my advice, my experence in saltwater is only 8 months.

I have considered that, but those **** worms are deep in the LR too. I can't nuke the LR because fist there are coral & good living things on it & 2nd because it is the next most expensive thing after the tank-stand-canopy setup. It would be cheaper to sell the clams.

I agree with what most have already said. The clam was most likely having other issues. How long had you had it? There can be many things that can look to be the culprit. If you had nassarius snails, they probably would have been there too. I won't be getting rid of those for sure. They are the life of your sand bed ...

Bristles have never been an issue from what I have read or seen. Some might get too big for the aquarium ...

Good Luck

The 1st clam to die was a brilliant grade 4 maxima I had for 14months, the second was a 2 inch derasa. Come to think of it, the first casualties were 2x .5inch maximas that I put high up on the rocks for a week. I just assumed large emerald crabs got them. After QTing the survivors, 2 have died & on necropsy I found small bristleworms in them. They died IN QUARANTINE in a isolated, bare tank!!! The survivors that look the best are my teardrop squamosas and maximas that have already attached their feet to LR . Except for an incident where the pH was low for a few hours, I cannot recall any insult to these guys. My pH has been stable for 2 months now. I havent lost anything else in more than 6 months and these are the first clams I lost ever.

This weekend my LFS refused to release an gorgeous carpet anemonae that arrived for me because they were sure the worms would get that too unless I controlled them - I didnt fight too hard. 3 LFSs that sell lotsa clams (& have been in business for over 50yrs combined) quickly concluded that bristleworms are the culprits and have lent me 2 different commercial traps and a DIY type. I have finished moving everything off the sandbed and will setup the traps this week. Ill post the results. LET THE SHOCK AND AWE BEGIN!

Is this the tank with all these clams:

75 gal with:
"1 lawnmower blenny, 1 mandarin, 4 blue chromis, 1 royal gramma, 1 six-line wrasse, 2 mated gold stripped marron clownfish, 2 mated oscellaris clownfish, 1 flame angel, 2 bartlett anthias, 1 copperband butterflyfish, 1 pacific blue hippo tang (2.5 inches), 1 sailfin tang (2.5 inches), one yellow tang (3 inches), and now powder blue #2 (2nd try). Its been 2 months and he still has 1-2 ich spots but is getting fat behind the head."

I think bristleworms are the least of your concerns.

A LFS not selling clams for because of bristle worms is crazy IMO.

If you are keeping all these fish, clams and SPS, you are taking it all on. I do the same as well but my system volume give me a little buffer. Opinions will always differ though.

Hope it works out for you.

thanks for the insult and useless comment

I really did want input on a good bristleworm trap or technique, that is why I posted. Whats the harm in catching some worms? I thought it would be like asking for tips on aptasia, or ick, but it has really brought out the ugly in people. Not everyone needs a five years and a 280 gallon buffer for a reef, but everyone has reef pests at some time.

Sorry if that came off harsh so this will be my last post in this thread. Misinformation is not what a forum where people learn needs.

We have all made mistakes in this hobby, myself included.

Good luck on the bristleworm hunting.

Ray, I don't think ellisz meant to insult you or give you useless info. I think a good point was brought up. With all those fish (20), I would suspect some water quality issues. IMO, water quality may be more of an issue than bristleworms.
As far as a trap, I really can't give any opinion as to what works best. I've never found a reason to remove them.

Seriously I don't think anyone is trying to slam you. We are just trying to point out that it appears your tank is quite overloaded with livestock.

Have you been feeding phyto to the clams? In the tank? That would also have an effect on water chemistry. If not, that could be the reason for the clams demise. Clams under about 3” – 4” need supplemental feedings.

Back
Top Bottom