Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2014, 03:44 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

White can be full spectrum meaning complete colors. We say it is aesthetic so it can balance the colors in our tank. You don't want to use just white because most corals absorb the blue for photosynthesis while reflecting others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
White can be full spectrum meaning complete colors. We say it is aesthetic so it can balance the colors in our tank. You don't want to use just white because most corals absorb the blue for photosynthesis while reflecting others.

I think we are trying to say similar things Jeff. You aren't talking about what are eyes see but what's used by the coral. I understand what you're saying and agree mostly. Corals use a wide range of the light so I don't think it is as clear as we are trying to make it here

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you read carefully and understand what PUR is, it is the blue color bandwidth. The OP is interested on the coral growth and the answer is actinic.

Old 09-20-2014, 04:09 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Nvm we are not saying the same thing. What I'm saying is corals utilize more than just actinic light to grow. You can't just state actinics grow corals period. They use much more light than just the 420-460 nm range. If you truly believe just actinics grow corals then every tank would be dark blue with extremely fluorescing corals. They'd look like the pictures you see on online coral dealers sites.

ORA grows their corals under natural sunlight. How does that work if actinics are the only thing growing coral? There isn't scientific proof to make the claim actinic or white light grows coral. We can argue until the world ends but until someone takes 2 exact frags, under the exact same conditions but the different light and proves one grows faster while the other doesn't. Then you can make your opinion fact that actinic grows coral.

Old 09-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Basically my contribution to the op is IMO and ime 12-15k produces the best growth and color out of my corals. I have no scientific evidence to back this up it's just my experience with my own tank. I have mostly sps, with lps and zoas. All grow well and keep excellent color with a 15k spectrum.

Old 09-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

There is one more aspect to the color appearance conversation. The color if the corals we see is affected by two things in our tanks (and in the ocean).

The first is traditional color. Corals absorb or reflect the color of light available to them. A red torch coral absorbs all light but the red, and reflects red light. So to see the true color of the coral we need to provide that wavelength for the torch to reflect it back to us. A broadband white light provides a full spectrum for all the colorful corals to reflect. That part has been said tho.

The second part, that has been missed, is phosphorescence. Certain objects can phosphor or 'glow'. Many corals do this if the right light is available. The right light for phosphorescence is a higher frequency, or shorter wavelength, light. Object that will glow tend to do it at the same wavelength that it's normal color is. Or close to it. A red glow can be fed by any visible or UV light. A blue glow can only be fed by purple or UV light.

Taking this into account, by turning down our whites, which decreases the amount of traditional color that is reflected by a coral, leaves the phosphorescence more noticeable to our eyes. It was always there, it was just overpowered, or washed out, by the normal color. The balance between the aesthetic look of the tank and achieving the best growth is a personal one.

Old 09-20-2014, 04:27 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
There is one more aspect to the color appearance conversation. The color if the corals we see is affected by two things in our tanks (and in the ocean).

The first is traditional color. Corals absorb or reflect the color of light available to them. A red torch coral absorbs all light but the red, and reflects red light. So to see the true color of the coral we need to provide that wavelength for the torch to reflect it back to us. A broadband white light provides a full spectrum for all the colorful corals to reflect. That part has been said tho.

The second part, that has been missed, is phosphorescence. Certain objects can phosphor or 'glow'. Many corals do this if the right light is available. The right light for phosphorescence is a higher frequency, or shorter wavelength, light. Object that will glow tend to do it at the same wavelength that it's normal color is. Or close to it. A red glow can be fed by any visible or UV light. A blue glow can only be fed by purple or UV light.

Taking this into account, by turning down our whites, which decreases the amount of traditional color that is reflected by a coral, leaves the phosphorescence more noticeable to our eyes. It was always there, it was just overpowered, or washed out, by the normal color. The balance between the aesthetic look of the tank and achieving the best growth is a personal one.

I think that was very well said and informative, thanks for posting it.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:28 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's why I stated previously that some corals on shallow reef loves the full spectrum. I think we can agree that the color or lighting combination depends on what corals one have. You can use more white but you will be wasting energy as what PUR is explained .

Edit: OPs interest is the coral growth and not the looks.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:51 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just to support what I have been saying you may read the following link.

ReefTank123

Old 10-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think the first link Jeffaquarius posted says it all.

This is the absorption of light by Zooxanthelle

Tags
color, coral, growth, spec, spectrum

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com