best detritis cleaner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sw-addict

Aquarium Advice Freak
We have a 120g tank that has increasing detritis it is sucked out of the rockwork then blown via powerhead into the water colum then vaccumed out again once every week. Usually within 2 days it is visible again and I have seen the bristle worms pushing it out of holes. My skunk cleaner shrimp is so mad at them he pulls them out of holes balls them up and eats them. My question is what should be added to the crew to take care of some detritis between cleanings. My snails, hermits, crabs, urchin and starfish just aren't getting it done anmore. I'm sure that there is some critter that is more inclined to eat it then others I would like oppinions before adding any new crew members. thanks!

Cerrith snails...they are great for this and they will keep your DSB aerated!

Squishy

I already have cerrith and nassarius snails in the mix I was wondering about fighting conchs ss stars are not an option I run large cc as bed.

Conchs are not going to be happy in CC. My first suggestion is would be to remove the CC and replace it w/ LS. CC is notiorious for trapping detritus.

Squishy

We plan on switching out the crappy huge aragonite come spring. I did not have a clue to what I was doing when I built the tank in the begining but I have learned my 29g that was set up 6 months after the 120g is much better cleaning itself as a result of the fine sand bed. Thanks for the conchs info I cant find them localy anyway.

What kind of flow rate do you have in the tank? A reef generally needs at least 10x its total water volume. Meaning if you have a 100 gallon tank, you want to move 1000 gallons an hour.

Squishy

our tank flow rate is 1700gph I wish flow rate was the problem I could fis that easy. We run 2 (hot)magnum canister filters, protien skimmer, 4 maxi-jet 1200's and a powersweep 228 behind rockwork to blow crap out all run 24/7.

Back
Top Bottom