best filter????????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
doesen't these clean up crews produce waste and how much maintenance are we talking about here. When I tried the berlin way with plenty of clean up crews I found it was like a part time job monitoring and wc.
Inverts, in general, do not contribute to the bioload so that is not a problem. Can you explain the system you where using as a "berlin" system? Size of tank, type and amount of biological filtration, bioload and feeding schedule? What exactly were you having trouble with?

I have a 75g tank predrilled with a sump. In the sump was a heater and a berlin(red sea) protein skimmer. I had 125 lbs of live rock with a about 75 crabs and 50 snails.(half mexican turbo snails). I had a lot of coral and two tangs. one yellow and one brown. I was using VHO 440 watts.

I was always watching the ammonia it would spike once and a while and there was nasty stuff on the rock all the time. like dust and then the coralline algea would grow in the dust and not the rock. I had a lot of power heads to keep current going but this dust stuff would fill up voids and just looked bad.

that is all I can think of at this time. so what did I do wrong and why was it this way??

I put on a wet dry system about 6 months ago and my water has never been so crystal clear and all that crap is pretty much gone.

seaham358 said:
AR15 guy that is good, question how old are your tanks and how often do you do a WC. And seeing the tanks you have have a very low bioload 1 fish in one and 2 in the other tank I'm not shocked that your NO3 is 0.
Do you have more fish then that now? There are exceptions to everything.

Tanks are a couple months old. I never saw nitrates in the 10 gallon. I added 20lbs of LS and 5 lbs LR to it right off the start. Cycled very fast. The 38 went through a pretty rough cycle but everything went right down to 0.

I still only have 3 fish. I swapped the 5lbs of LR to the 38 along with the 2 clownfish. Now the damsel is in the 10 gallon. I plan on adding a royal gramma and a firefish to the 38 in the next week or so. Not sure whats in store for the 10 gallon.

Oh and I have never done a water change on the 38 gallon. And I have done 1 WC on the 10. It was like a 1 gallon change. Other than that I just do top offs with distilled. I filled the tanks up with tap to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom