Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-22-2005, 09:18 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Wow, what a loaded question! You are going to get a million answers here... I would get what you can afford and maintain consistantly. Each filter has it's advantages and disadvantages. If money isn't an issue I would get a sump that you could put your heater, protein skimmer, and DSB into. You can also put lighting over it and grow beneficial algae to help lower nitrates.

But again sumps have disadvantages too. Easiest to maintain would probably be lots of LR and circulation (Berlin method).

32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 10:02 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like a sump.... good place for skimmer, heaters. Get a drilled tank and set up a sump, adds extra water volume. If not set up correctly they can make noise, I have 2 tanks and run both with sumps with no major noise.
With that being said LR is the BEST filtration you can get. At least 1 lb per gallon to start. I would not set up a tank with out LR.
Take your time with what ever you decide and keep researching the hobby. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby so take it slow.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 10:16 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
thats so bogus, how can mechanical filtration lead to higher nitrates
Actually, it is not bogus. Mechanical filtration can and does produce nitrates. While it may create an anaerobic environment for denitrafying bacteria (just like biological filtration) that is not it's primary fuction. Mechanical filtration catches detritus from the water on some type of pad. The collection of this feces, uneaten food etc... will begin to break down and eventually cause NO3 to climb. Mechanical filtration just needs regualr cleaning t prevent this problem.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:02 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks Lando
Old 04-22-2005, 11:25 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

My pleasure.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:11 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to morphviper
Actually, it is not bogus. Mechanical filtration can and does produce nitrates. While it may create an anaerobic environment for denitrafying bacteria (just like biological filtration) that is not it's primary fuction. Mechanical filtration catches detritus from the water on some type of pad. The collection of this feces, uneaten food etc... will begin to break down and eventually cause NO3 to climb. Mechanical filtration just needs regualr cleaning t prevent this problem.[/quote]

So my question is if detritus from the water on ends up on some type of pad and create nitrates then what about the berlin system where the poop is just laying around on the rock and sand? explain why this would not create nitrates?

I am just asking because I tried the berlin system and it sucked for me. I followed everyones advice about it and even got a book and I didn't like it. Now it works for some, but not me.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:02 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
I run mechanical filters on my tanks. Biowheels actually. Which are supposed to add tons of nitrates. Both my tanks have 0 nitrates.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 03:10 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
So my question is if detritus from the water on ends up on some type of pad and create nitrates then what about the berlin system where the poop is just laying around on the rock and sand? explain why this would not create nitrates?
Several reasons. For one, the filter pad of a mechanical filter is is very concentrated. This gives you a large amount of detritus in a small area. Harder to break down. Also, most tanks that utilize biological/skimmer filtration are also using a good clean-up crew to help control detritus (aong with a regular maintanance schedule).
Old 04-22-2005, 04:28 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

AR15 guy that is good, question how old are your tanks and how often do you do a WC. And seeing the tanks you have have a very low bioload 1 fish in one and 2 in the other tank I'm not shocked that your NO3 is 0.
Do you have more fish then that now? There are exceptions to everything.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 04:40 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to morphviper
Quote:
Several reasons. For one, the filter pad of a mechanical filter is is very concentrated. This gives you a large amount of detritus in a small area. Harder to break down. Also, most tanks that utilize biological/skimmer filtration are also using a good clean-up crew to help control detritus (aong with a regular maintanance schedule).
doesen't these clean up crews produce waste and how much maintenance are we talking about here. When I tried the berlin way with plenty of clean up crews I found it was like a part time job monitoring and wc.

I am not saying that the berlin way is bad, but I had to do too much work to keep things good. I am just trying to understand why this way is better in everyones eyes?

(to me less work and maintenance is better to me)

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com