Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-21-2005, 09:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

best filter????????

Hello everyone.
i was just wondering, what would be the best filter for my tank when i get it. I'm going to buy a 75gl soon and i'm going to slowly get it together. But that all takes money,and i'm on a low budget so i'm buying a little at a time then when i get everything i'll set er up. was thinking of a canister filter would that be ok. what would be the best one?Any inputs on anything for it would be great. i'm still a newbee. thank u all in advance...

Old 04-21-2005, 11:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

i like the tertatecs, they are good filters, canisters are ok, id go with an eheim they are the best, and i dont like sumps because they are a pain to maintain, they raise evaporation and they make lots of noise, protein skimming is a very good idea , really improves water quality.

Old 04-21-2005, 11:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you are planning on setting up a reef tank, a natural form of filtration would be recommended..no mechanical filtration at all (leads to higher nitrates). Most people depend on live rock and a protein skimmer (Berlin method) for all of their filtration needs. Refugiums are also becoming more and more popular.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

..no mechanical filtration at all (leads to higher nitrates).

thats so bogus, how can mechanical filtration lead to higher nitrates,, its the same thing as haveing liverock, its just a porous material that bacteria can grow on, if it stays submerged then its all anearobic bacteria, if it rises and falls like in the tetratecs then you get that aerobic, which is also beneficial to the tank and is a reason that wet-dry systems were created, and people have been using both these methods for years now with perfectly stable results, if they didnt work, people wouldnt still use them,
Old 04-21-2005, 11:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

oh, and if its because stuff collects on the bags and such, it only takes a quick rinse or change of cartridge, to get rid of all that stuff, and then its being removed too
Old 04-21-2005, 11:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks for the comments i'm going to try and find a eheim soon
Old 04-21-2005, 11:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

how about the jebo's are they any good?
Old 04-21-2005, 11:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
Here is a pic of my filter. I use a 30G tank resting on a piece of foam for cushion. The first chamber has my heaters, chiller pump, skimmer (sits on a PVC stand), and i drop my carbon bags in that chamber as well. The 2nd area is my fuge. I droped in about 30lbs of live sand and then a little bit of live rock. I use cheatomorpha for PO4 control and then grow ulva and red algae for my tang. The big trashcan in the back is fresh water for auto top off. You can see pics of my tank in the photo gallery, its coming along nicely. Anyhow, I just gotta toss in my support for the anti-canister, el natural method.

It looks a little complex but its not much more than a $400ish filter that needs no maintenance at all except dumping the skimmer cup and changing the carbon. (this all fits under a stand for a 75G tank) Oh, its also 100% silent because I keep the water level so high. There is a clear check valve on the return pump so I can see if its wearing, and in turn that valve doesn't let the sump overflow in a power out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	myfuge_234.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	2095  

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 01:10 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to morphviper
Wet dry's are very good all around system.(even better than any when set up correctly) By the time you buy an eheim,(unless it is used) you could have a wet dry system. just a suggestion.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:21 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

i will keep that in mind, keep um coming thanks guys

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com