Best fish choice to add to my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caybrook

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am wanting to add another fish(or pair) to my reef tank. It is a 50gallon, 40lbs live rock with a pair of OC clowns and a mandarin dragonet. I have a ritteri nem, BTA, two elegance corals and a few others that are harmless. I want a fish that wont be a threat to my mandys food supply and that is not aggressive. Also wanting something that is colourful. (Impossible list of demands?)

I asked my lfs for their opinion and was told "get a tang" I said no, my tank is not big enough for that. They responded with " so bring the tang back in two years". Sorry no. If I am getting a fish it is a life time commitment.

Any thoughts? I also don't want something that will spend the day hiding. My clowns host my nem and never leave it. So other than the crabs, seahare and Mandy there isn't much movement.

Well, there are many options out there. Biggest thing is good for you at turning down the tang! Have you looked at any of the fairy wrasses? There are some that you can add that are reed safe and won't consume the mandarin's pod population. I have an orange back wrasse in my 55 reef with a green mandarin. Has lots of color as well.

And they aren't aggressive? I keep hearing mixed things about them being aggressive or ripping up coral.

There are reef safe and not reef safe wrasses. There are wrasses, like the 6 line, that eat pods while others don't really care about their existance.

Back
Top Bottom