Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-20-2006, 04:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Best Hang-On-Back Skimmer?

I am buying everything I need for my first 75g saltwater tank. I already have a Fluval 404 from a freshwater tank I dismantled a while ago, so I was planning to use that and not get a sump system.

I just bought a Coralife Super Skimmer 125. I heard it does a great job, and didn't stop to think about how monstrous this thing is. That would be fine if I had a sump, but as a HOB my tank will need to be 6" away from the wall. Maybe after I have everything set up that won't look as stupid as it seems like it's going to look.

Thoughts? I didn't unpack the thing yet. Is there a HOB skimmer out there that doesn't need as much space behind the tank that works as well as the CSS125?

YourPalCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
well, I've heard mixed reviews about it but the prizm skimmer is very slim.

Scottm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to degbowl
I bought a prizm skimmer and was very unhappy with it. It needed adjusting all the time and was making alot of noise and wasn't producing enough. I spent the extra money and bought an AquaC Remora. It is very slim and does a great job. It is also very quiet.
I have heard that the Coralife does a good job.
degbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just set up an AquaC Remora w/ MJ1200 on my 75gal FOWLR tank. I haven't had it long enough to say how well it skims, but it has really good reviews and it only hangs off the back of the tank about 3".
mikeosoft is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com