Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

best hob skimmer?

Hi guys I've just bought a juwel vision 180 litre 3ft bow front tank to be set up as a marine tank. It has come with a prizm skimmer and all I seem to see are bad reviews on it.
Just looking to see what you guys think the best hob skimmer for this tank would be.
Been looking at the deltec mce300 they seem pretty efficient??

Old 05-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The deltecs are good skimmers but in my opinion EXTREMELY overpriced. There are other options that are less $$ and can work the same if not better.

How much room do you have for the skimmer? Does the skimmer have to hang on back of the tank or is there a compartment for it? I used a remora hang on skimmer for my 29g and 55g tank and was very pleased with it.

Here is a great site with the skimmer information and dimensions

Protein Skimmer, Protein Skimmers - AquaCave.com

Old 05-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey carey hope all is well.
There is no weir section on the back so has to be a hob type. Is the mce300 a good skimmer? Are there any other options you would suggest, as i said the tank is 180 litres 3ft long.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I use the aqua euro aebh100 and it works great. Got it on amazon for $149. Its the same thing as the reef octopus hob just different pump. Very quite and easy to maintain.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Another option as far as a hang on back is the reef octopus brand. ALOT of people use them and rave. Great performance and a good price as well. I have an octopus in sump, it is well made and works ok in my opinion but I'm in the minority when it comes to that.

I'd check them both out and see which fits your budget and which has the best bang for your buck.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

here you go russ babe, best priced one i could find lol

doodooskimmer v1.0 $20 protein skimmer homemade diy - YouTube
Pair of German Blue Rams, Pair of Peacock Gobys, Venezuelan Corys, Long Finned Pepper Cory, Orange Neon Cory, Sterbai Corys, Albino Corys, Elegans Corys, Bronze Corys, Columbian Tetras, Cardinal Tetras, Rummy Nose Tetras, Marble Hatchets, Zebra Danios, Red Finned Zebra Danio, African Dwarf Frog and Darwin the Cream and Blue Betta
steg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I really like the design of the Reef Octopus BH-90. Many of the features you'd expect in larger in sump skimmers, plus the pump is external to the tank.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lol Steg ur ab idiot!!!
I really like the reef octopus stuff its quite a struggle finding a supplier i. The uk too!
I think i may go round the deltec my lfs does quite a lot of business with them and i have quite a rapport with him, he can do me the mce300 at pretty much the same price as the octopus equivalent. The write ups on the deltec seem pretty positive too!

Tags
hob, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com