Best lighting for ricordea mushrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foamythesquirrel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a power compact sitting directly on top of my covered tank.

The question I have is what is sufficient distance to have between ricordea mushrooms and the top?

A little history to explain my purpose....

Several months back I bought a single Blue ricordea mushroom on a small rock. The diameter was a little larger than a quater. At the time, I didn't realize the rock could be easily moved by my crabs, shrimps and snails. The next morning, I had to relocate because my first spot wasn't so good. I had to go away for a few days, and came back to see the mushroom was gone. I even combed the sand in certain areas, but no luck. Then about 3 weeks later, I was crab hunting and pulled a big piece of LR up and saw a tiny blue form. I knew exactly what it was. Since then, I have been reviving this mushroom back to life. When it was found, the diameter was no more than 1/4". Now it is over 1/2" in diameter.

I have this mushroom wedged up top of my highest LR and am starting to wonder if I have this placed in the best location or not.

So if someone has advice as to where this mushroom will grow best, please let me know. Thanks.

Mushroons are a low light coral. It should do good anywhere in your tank under PC lighting.

Another reason it might have moved is " to much current". I have noted that mushooms do not like high flow areas.

+1 for all of the above. Great advice. I have many color mushrooms in my tank, Not much light at al required i had one beneath a rock for weeks and its still doing great.

Thanks, that is good to know. I also have some orange ricordeas and am wondering if I could expect them to multiply. And if there are any good inhibitors and/or practices to enhance this? They are very cool looking and also the first coral I placed in my tank :)

Here is a photo I just took, while they have been enjoying the light and a fresh water change......

And just to add, I do have them higher up in the tank. There is some movement, but I don't understand the ways to determine how tank flow is measured.

Hope you enjoy the photo.

Attachments

• mushrooms with goby 01.jpg
    mushrooms with goby 01.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 480
And I realized the blue mushroom that I started this thread on has made an appearance with the above posted photo. Look near the top left area of the picture.... just barely stands out.

I was just going to say....there's that blue 'roo. To much flow is when you see them flopping in the current or creeping along on a rock leaving babies behind. Hahaha lol...

the best lighting for rics are t5 or metal halides but they dont need to be blasted with light

Back
Top Bottom