Best Macroalgae for Main Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've grown increasingly fond of the way plants look in the main tank mixed with lots of live rock.

I'm getting pc lighting and do not intend to ever keep corals.

Can someone recommend any marine plant for the main tank? And I'm assuming there will be some stocking restrictions with macroalgae outside a fuge.

any help would be appreciated.

- Skins

Stick with slow growing calcerous species in the main tank. No caulerpa's or fast growers. Best option would be Halimeda.

Cheers
Steve

Really? I've got a lot patches of Halimeda on the keys rock that I have in there now. Will that stuff spread? PC lighting will do them okay?

Thanks Steve.

- Skins

PC lights are just fine for this type of macro. As far as spreading, yes but relative to the species. It is rather slow growing usually but in all honesty that's what you want for algae in the main display. Fast growing species would be a complete PITA eventually and something I can assure you you don't want.

Especially important with Halimeda is to maintain the chemistry. They depeosit CaCO3 similarly to corals. Alk 1.5-3 mEq/l and Ca 380-420 ppm.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom