Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

How often do you clean the canister filter?

Old 03-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

And how old are your test kits? Think it's possible they've gone bad?

Old 03-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have been cleaning the mechanical filter in the canister once a week, I have cleaned the 2 bio filter compartments once a month to keep the colony intact. I also replace the carbon once a month as well. As for the test kits.. I bought them 3 weeks ago, i assume they are still good. Update: 2 more invertabrates died, a blue leg hermit, and a zebra hermit. So far the death toll is: 6 invertabrates and 2 fish. My guess is high nitrates as invertabrates are more sensitive to it and the sudden brown algae bloom?
Old 03-19-2013, 03:00 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you tested phosphates? In either case if you are experiencing algae bloom then they are high and being consumed by the algae causing them to not register or register very low. Are you sure the inverts aren't being killed by other inverts?
Old 03-19-2013, 03:01 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

And are you running a protein skimmer?
Old 03-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #16

I am running a protein skimmer in the sump. Also i'm not sure which other inerts would be doing them in? I'm finding the bodies uneaten, the sally Lightfoot and the cleaner shrimp were my biggest inverts besides the bta. They were just dead one morning, the night before when I went to bed everyone was acting healthy and normal. The only inverts I have left now are some various snails, blue and red leg hermits, zebra hermits, and 3 pom pom crabs.

Also when I found some hermit crabs dead, they were without shell and still intact. Which the hermit crabs more than likely were done in by other hermits for their shells, but who knows?
Old 03-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #17

After doing some more digging up on the current tank inhabbitants... I read that my dottyback may be killing them or any new addition to my tank(confirmed after watching him ram 3 different fish within the 15min of me watching him
). When I first got him about 3 months ago, he was a good tank mate. Just recently started showing aggression. So after some effort I caught this guy and put him in the sump for now. Until I can decide on what to do with him. Put him in the 125 gal? buy a seperate 20gal tank just for him? let him live in the fuge section of the sump forever? take him back to the lfs? ahhh so many choices
Old 03-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Or post him on Craigslist in exchange for some good corals or something.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
Or post him on Craigslist in exchange for some good corals or something.
Million dollar idea! Thanks, I don't know why I never think to post on there. Took your advice and posted a ad asking for trades or a money offer. If no-one is interested in the next week, I guess I will just buy a 20gal just for him (and maybe the damsel). I feel too bad leaving him in my 20gal sump, especially since the fuge section is smaller than normal. Not his fault that aggression is in his nature

Thats what I get for getting my livestock care facts from the employee at the LFS playing his Nintendo

Tags
chi, method, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com