Best Place To Get LR? (With out having to sell a kidney)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey All,

We are looking to get some LR for our 55gal tank we just started. We wanted to get atleast some LR going so we wont have to stur up the sand after the tank is cycled and we begin to add fish.

Unless one of you know's a really cheap place to get LR, we probably will only do the bottom rocks, just enought o get off the sand.

As I understand it, there are some LR with flat sides that should go on the bottom of the tank (Under the sand) so as fish move the sand around, the rock work won't become unstable. The other LR will (I assume) be glued to that bottom rock!?

So far the cheapest place I've found was Live Aquaria. It's about $3.30/lb for Fiji Foundation Rock, and about $3.59/lb for Fiji Premium Live Rock. Those prices include shipping.

The Cheapest LFS around here has LR for alittle over $5/lb.

Thanks.

-TheChad

You should use base rock or PVC parts on the glass to hold your rock above the sand. You can get base rock from hirocks.com or Reef Rocks from That Fish Place. Then get some LR to place on top and seed it.

Generally there is no need to glue the rocks. Just stack them and push down to make sure they are stable. This makes it easier to take apart should you have to down the road.

You might want to check shipping charges at Live Aquaria -- they charge $1.59 lb for next day air.....if your lfs has it for $5 lb that might be the way to go.......Bob

check ebay, search for fully cured live rock. ive found some for 1.99 a pound. the stuff ive gotten didnt have any hitchhikers, but fairly good anyways.

Vettin2nite said:
You might want to check shipping charges at Live Aquaria -- they charge $1.59 lb for next day air.....if your lfs has it for $5 lb that might be the way to go.......Bob

As stated above, even with the shipping from Live Aquaria its only about $3.50 a lb. vs $5+ a lb at the LFS!

-TheChad

cmor1701d said:
You should use base rock or PVC parts on the glass to hold your rock above the sand.

That's basically what I said... Cept instead of uneven base rock, using a rock (Base, or Live) with atleast 1 flat side so it sits flat on the glass bottom, and sticks up above the sand bed, stacking all other rocks on top.

-TheChad

i ordered my rocks from liveaquaria.com. used overnight shipping. 40lbs... about $200. i strongly recommand to use the overnight shipping. it only took 2 weeks for me to complete the cycle! great stuff!

yea i would recommend liveaquaria also or marinedepotlive

Should I buy 35lbs of "Fiji Foundation Rock", for $3.30/lb Shipped from Live Aquaria, or should I buy 50lbs of "Reef Rock", for $1.28/lb Shipped?

This would be for the bottom, I will dig out the sand and put the rock on the glass bottom, and fill the sand back in.

Later I will buy 40-50lbs of Fiji Premium LR.

I assume that Reef Rock will become live weather seeded with LR or not?! How long does it usually take for the Base rock to become Live with out being seeded?

I assume that the 40lbs of LS will seed the 40lbs of Dry sand, which all together will help seed any base rock in the tank!?

Thanks,

-TheChad

vsnsofadrgn said:
check ebay, search for fully cured live rock. ive found some for 1.99 a pound. the stuff ive gotten didnt have any hitchhikers, but fairly good anyways.

I agree 100%. I just picked up some beautiful pieces for $2/lb. I had the luxury of picking the pieces myself, but you can't beat $2/lb for WAY better rock than they sell at my LFS for $5-8/lb. Go ebay.

What seller are you guys getting the beautiful LR from on ebay. I may go that route if I can find a reliable seller.

Thanks,
Brian

I'd go with the seller that's on the East Coast. It's says so right in the title. I think most of them sell the same Walt Smith rock. Good luck.

Yeah I Searched e-bay, by the time you add their out of controll shipping rates, you pay far more than if you buy it from Liveaquaria.com.

I havent found anyone selling it on ebay cheaper than liveaquaria.com for OTD (Out The Door) price.

-TheChad

Marinecenter.com has a box of fiji 50lb for $169 free shipping.

Kinda seems unreal, and of coarse the pics on the website look immaculate but who knows how its really gonna show up. Might be worth a look though.

Intmarinefish.com has a deal on caribbean live rock for cheap and free shipping as well.

neither of these sites Ive bought from but both have enticed me.

regards

TheChad said:
Yeah I Searched e-bay, by the time you add their out of controll shipping rates, you pay far more than if you buy it from Liveaquaria.com.

I havent found anyone selling it on ebay cheaper than liveaquaria.com for OTD (Out The Door) price.

-TheChad

Thats sounds strange to me. Liveaquaria's OTD is close to $6/lb. You're telling me all the sellers on Ebay are charging $4/lb to ship? I highly doubt it.

Anyways, here are some pictures of the rock I just picked up. 25lbs for $55. Even with shipping it's worht it, and cheaper than anywhere else I could find it. And this is all going in a 20gal. Sweet!

Attachments

• rock6_164.jpg
    rock6_164.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 30
  • rock3_271.jpg
    rock3_271.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 25
  • rock4_107.jpg
    rock4_107.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 29
Lagger said:
TheChad said:

-TheChad

Thats sounds strange to me. Liveaquaria's OTD is close to $6/lb. You're telling me all the sellers on Ebay are charging $4/lb to ship? I highly doubt it.

Anyways, here are some pictures of the rock I just picked up. 25lbs for $55. Even with shipping it's worht it, and cheaper than anywhere else I could find it. And this is all going in a 20gal. Sweet!

As I stated in my very first post. From Live Aquaria.com its $3.59/lb for Fiji Premium Live Rock Shipped! ($89.99 for 45lbs, and $1.59/lb for Overnight Shipping. $1.59 x 45 = $71.55 + $89.99 = $161.54 / 45 = $3.5897/lb).

If you find it cheaper than that shipped on eBay, let me know!

The price you are speaking of from Live Aquaria is for the 'Select' LR.

-TheChad

Anyone know what the difference is between Caribbean LR and Fiji LR? Is one better than another? Or is Live rock, Live Rock doesn't matter where it comes from?

Thanks,

-TheChad

Well seems like a decent deal then. You can see pics of the 'select' LR on SuperWades2 post.

If you find it cheaper than that shipped on eBay, let me know!

I did find it cheaper, on ebay :roll:

My understanding is that 'Carribean' is dried lettuce rock and lighter than Fiji. So you should get more rock for your money. I've seen a few tanks with it and I think it looks nice. Most of the time it has lots of life.

Back
Top Bottom