Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-12-2006, 11:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
Best Place To Get LR? (With out having to sell a kidney)

Hey All,

We are looking to get some LR for our 55gal tank we just started. We wanted to get atleast some LR going so we wont have to stur up the sand after the tank is cycled and we begin to add fish.

Unless one of you know's a really cheap place to get LR, we probably will only do the bottom rocks, just enought o get off the sand.

As I understand it, there are some LR with flat sides that should go on the bottom of the tank (Under the sand) so as fish move the sand around, the rock work won't become unstable. The other LR will (I assume) be glued to that bottom rock!?

So far the cheapest place I've found was Live Aquaria. It's about $3.30/lb for Fiji Foundation Rock, and about $3.59/lb for Fiji Premium Live Rock. Those prices include shipping.

The Cheapest LFS around here has LR for alittle over $5/lb.

Thanks.

-TheChad

Old 02-12-2006, 12:05 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

You should use base rock or PVC parts on the glass to hold your rock above the sand. You can get base rock from hirocks.com or Reef Rocks from That Fish Place. Then get some LR to place on top and seed it.

Generally there is no need to glue the rocks. Just stack them and push down to make sure they are stable. This makes it easier to take apart should you have to down the road.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

You might want to check shipping charges at Live Aquaria -- they charge $1.59 lb for next day air.....if your lfs has it for $5 lb that might be the way to go.......Bob
Old 02-12-2006, 07:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to vsnsofadrgn
check ebay, search for fully cured live rock. ive found some for 1.99 a pound. the stuff ive gotten didnt have any hitchhikers, but fairly good anyways.

hope dies last
vsnsofadrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettin2nite
You might want to check shipping charges at Live Aquaria -- they charge $1.59 lb for next day air.....if your lfs has it for $5 lb that might be the way to go.......Bob

As stated above, even with the shipping from Live Aquaria its only about $3.50 a lb. vs $5+ a lb at the LFS!

-TheChad
Old 02-12-2006, 07:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d
You should use base rock or PVC parts on the glass to hold your rock above the sand.

That's basically what I said... Cept instead of uneven base rock, using a rock (Base, or Live) with atleast 1 flat side so it sits flat on the glass bottom, and sticks up above the sand bed, stacking all other rocks on top.

-TheChad
Old 02-15-2006, 05:00 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

i ordered my rocks from liveaquaria.com. used overnight shipping. 40lbs... about $200. i strongly recommand to use the overnight shipping. it only took 2 weeks for me to complete the cycle! great stuff!
Old 02-15-2006, 11:52 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
yea i would recommend liveaquaria also or marinedepotlive
Old 02-16-2006, 04:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Should I buy 35lbs of "Fiji Foundation Rock", for $3.30/lb Shipped from Live Aquaria, or should I buy 50lbs of "Reef Rock", for $1.28/lb Shipped?

This would be for the bottom, I will dig out the sand and put the rock on the glass bottom, and fill the sand back in.

Later I will buy 40-50lbs of Fiji Premium LR.

I assume that Reef Rock will become live weather seeded with LR or not?! How long does it usually take for the Base rock to become Live with out being seeded?

I assume that the 40lbs of LS will seed the 40lbs of Dry sand, which all together will help seed any base rock in the tank!?

Thanks,

-TheChad
90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 10:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsnsofadrgn
check ebay, search for fully cured live rock. ive found some for 1.99 a pound. the stuff ive gotten didnt have any hitchhikers, but fairly good anyways.
I agree 100%. I just picked up some beautiful pieces for $2/lb. I had the luxury of picking the pieces myself, but you can't beat $2/lb for WAY better rock than they sell at my LFS for $5-8/lb. Go ebay.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com