Best placement for leather coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mackenzie11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a leather coral in my 55 gallon, I have read to put it both on the bottom of tank and mid level of tank....at present it is mid level, about quarter off the bottom....for the first few days it was big and all it's tentacles were out and colourful....then suddenly it closed up, has since reopened but no tentacles are out. He has been like this now for two days, he is open and big, just no tentacles, should I leave him and let it settle more, or should he be moved, he has moderate flow and light, but could the light be too bright, he still has his purple colour, just some of the tips are a tad white....

I just don't want to upset him by moving him to much, but don't want to lose him either

Any help would be great

What kind of leather? Can you get a pic. They generally don't like as much light as sps so depending on your lighting you should aim for low to mid. Some like A LOT of flow while others not so much. ID would help determine which is best.

Water parameters are all at zero and temp is 25 C, salinity is 1.024

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389763951.132482.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389763973.991667.jpg
There are two power heads at each end for a total of 3750 lt of flow...second pic is of power head placement.....it opened up in full colour 3 hours after going into the tank and was fine for a few days, has been like this for 2 days now....

I would leave it where it is and watch it. Leathers are very hardy and kinda hard to kill unless alk gets out of control.

Thank you, will see how he goes, I know they do a slime thingo sometimes, so he might be preparing for that, the only fish in the tank is a bi coloured blenny and four hermit crabs....they don't bother him though.

Back
Top Bottom