Best reef aquarium salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hector cruz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I used reef science salt....is a good synthetic salts? Which are the best salt?

There is no best salt. I use instant ocean reef crystals and it works great for me. The best salt IMO is the one that works for you.

There is no best salt. I use instant ocean reef crystals and it works great for me. The best salt IMO is the one that works for you.

(y) Ford, Chevy, or Dodge???? Everyone has their own opinion on the matter. Personally, I like Red Sea Coral Pro because it produces hardly any residue in my mixing tub, where other salts I've tried can leave a brown film on everything......

There is no "best" salt mix out there. They all have their pros and cons. I use Oceanic because of the higher calcium.

Each brand have different ratio of trace elements. Some reefers would use different brands alternately to balance what the other is lacking. For instance, Kent may have higher calcium but low in alkalinity compared to Reef Crystals with the opposite ratio. Or you can just pick one and dose as needed.

Ive been slowly switching to Kent. The locals around here LOVE it. Cant hurt. Can get a 200gal box for $35.

Noob here with sw

How can salt be synthetic? I am looking for a brand/type for my little soon to be 5G or 16G inverts tank.

One brand says it is synthetic, can't wrap my head around that, isn't salt, well, salt?

The mix has additives for minerals and what have you, but what is the deal? If there is a good explanation somewhere point me in that direction please, or link.

Natural salt are from either processing seawater or mining. Synthetic salt as the name implies is artificial which is produced by combining several elements. Just like other compounds that can be produced artificially.

Natural salt are from either processing seawater or mining. Synthetic salt as the name implies is artificial which is produced by combining several elements. Just like other compounds that can be produced artificially.

How would that be good for the fish/reef? Just as artificial blueberry flavor is not even close to a real blueberry in texture, flavor, health benefits, seeds, etc. So I am shocked, and, clueless I guess. I am just sitting here shaking my head back and forth.

A basic knowledge of chemistry would help understand your question. A brief explanation is that (edit: sea water) salt is mainly sodium choloride (NaCl) with a bumch of trace elements. This has been successfully artificially copied and used for aquarium for decades. Synthetic doesn't mean superior but rather produced by just mixing those chemicals. Here is a link which hopefully can enlighten a little bit.

Synthetic Salt

A basic knowledge of chemistry would help understand your question. A brief explanation is that (edit: sea water) salt is mainly sodium choloride (NaCl) with a bumch of trace elements. This has been successfully artificially copied and used for aquarium for decades. Synthetic doesn't mean superior but rather produced by just mixing those chemicals. Here is a link which hopefully can enlighten a little bit.

Synthetic Salt

Well this was an interesting read with the end of it where the compilation of statistics boil down to the summary that the Synthetic Sea Salt /SSS provided a non toxic environment for, in this case the development of sea urchin larvae, using SSS would not be detrimental to marine life (loose quote). Scientific study info found here if anyone is interested.
Feature Article: The Toxicity of Synthetic Sea Salts and Natural Seawater to the Development of White Sea Urchin (Lytichinus pictus) Larvae — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog.

Ok, I feel much better about it now. They studied natural sea water NSW in the bioassay as well as a handful of popular SSS.

I guess I thought the word synthetic meant they didn't use salt or as in "artificial" salt, but after reading a nice definition, it is from human compilation of the separate ingredients ...from dictionary.com definition "2. noting or pertaining to compounds formed through a chemical process by human agency, as opposed to those of natural origin: synthetic vitamins; synthetic fiber."

Thanks for your patience.

Back
Top Bottom