Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-12-2014, 02:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here are the reasons why API is not a reliable test kit for maintaining a reef tank. Take for example the NITRATE and PHOSPHATE. The test result is relying on the comparison of colors on the chart. Who knows how long those charts maintain their original colors and if you notice the colors are almost the same from 5 to 20 on NO3 and 0.25 to 2.0 on PO4. The API alkalinity test kit is even worse. You count the number of drops. Have you notice the volume of each drop compared to other test kits like Salifert which uses a syringe neddle? It means API will give you an error of 1 dKH.

To answer your question about Mag test kit, I would recommend the Salifert. It is accurate and simpler than the others. The table has a graduation of 0.02 and that translates to the error you will make,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:15 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Mg is calculated by titration. So the drops are pretty standard. I like Red Sea for Mg.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

LOL, we all have preferences.... I prefer the salifert for mag these days. And in my opinion, its ALWAYS a good idea to have more than one test kit, if the results seem screwy then you can try the other one. Maybe I'm just anal retentive though.......LOL
Old 04-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

If Hanna made a Mg test, it would be a no brainer. But they don't.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:45 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

For reef keepers with corals you need a test kit for phosphate that can read 0.00 to 0.03. It will be impossible if you use API.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:51 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Mg is calculated by titration. So the drops are pretty standard. I like Red Sea for Mg.
The volume of each drop will make the difference to attain an accurate reading. Meaning the smaller drop the more accurate your reading will be.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:57 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Best Reef Magnesium Test Kit?

I meant the use of a dropper is standard, the size of the drops does count, that's why you use the syringe and plastic needle that come with the kit. But with the Red Sea, you calculate Mg based on what's left over from a calibrated 10mm syringe.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:27 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I meant the use of a dropper isgo each remaining tandard, thesize of the drops does count, that's why you use the syringe and plastic needle that come with the kit. But with the Red Sea, you calculate Mg based on what's left over from a calibrated 10mm syringe.
In the table, the manufacturer has already converted the result based on how much you used. Other kits you have to convert by subtracting the reading from the volume at start.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:49 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

That's what I meant.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:15 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

The problem Im having with Red Sea Mg Test Kit is when adding the Reagent A. You have to count 15 seconds for each drop and at the same time count the number of drops. If someone interrupts you somewhere in the middle you will likely forget where you are at. I have to use a tally sheet to count the number of drops. Otherwise at my age with poor memory I keep forgeting how many drops I had after the 15 sec count.
To get the result you first have to calculate how much you have used by subtracting the end reading from the start reading.

Tags
magnesium, reef, test, test kit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com