Best Reef Magnesium Test Kit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Used Salifert for years switched to Red Sea, Im not sure what calculations you have to do, but I personally like Red Sea better, but they are both good test kits. Check Amazon for a Red Sea Kit with Cal, Mag and ALK for like $45

What was the reason you switched to Salifert and why do you like Red Sea better? I'm from Australia so unfortunately I cannot buy things from Amazon. Cheapest Red Sea Magnesium test kit I can find so far is AUD $41

Ok so the general consensus I'm getting is that both Red Sea and Salifert are equally both good Magnesium test kits, but the Salifert is easier to use and less messing around involved...correct?

What about best test kit for Phosphate? Is Salifert also a good accurate and easy to use test kit for this? I'm going to be adding Phosguard into my sump soon and want to be testing after it's added, so am considering also buying a seperate phosguard test kit (probably Salifert) to get the most accurate readings, even though I already have a phosphate test in the API reef kit.

Hanna is very accurate if you do it right. The gadget shuts off in 10 min so you turn it on only when ready to start. You pay for the accuracy not for the simplicity. Phosphate readings should not be done too often. Once your tank is established you need it only when some bad sign crop up. IMO the API test kit is good for fish tanks and when you are cycling or just need a rough results.

I highly reccomend the hanna checkers, they are super accurate and actually easy to use.

For phoshphate you just put in the water and press a button. Then take it out and add the powder, put it back in, press a button and it starts going. After 3 minutes it gives you an exact phosphate reading. Cant get much easier than that. lol

I highly reccomend the hanna checkers, they are super accurate and actually easy to use.

For phoshphate you just put in the water and press a button. Then take it out and add the powder, put it back in, press a button and it starts going. After 3 minutes it gives you an exact phosphate reading. Cant get much easier than that. lol

I agree. Since you are shooting for values below 0.1ppm, a color check type test doesn't work IME.

I used elos test today.... Test tube broke in my hand as I pulled the cap off!!! Cut me up ?not happy.

Thanks for all your advice and opinions guys. I am now leaning towards getting a Hanna test kit for phosphate simply because it sounds like it will give me the most accurate reading compared to other test kits out there. Hanna is a colorimeter and gives you an exact reading, whereas all the other test kits rely on matching to colour charts and depends on the user's interpretation and involves some guesswork too. I will need to also buy the 25 reagent refill because the test kit only comes with 6, which is pretty silly IMO.

As for the magnesium test kit, I am leaning towards Salifert only because it's about $10 cheaper than Red Sea and appears just as good. Would still like to hear what others think about my intentions before I go ahead and order them.

Like I mentioned before, I live in Australia so unfortunately I can't use Amazon as they only ship to US. Do you know of any places that offer reasonable international shipping costs?

Cheapest I can find the Hanna phosphate test kit on eBay including shipping is around $58 (not including 25 refills) and $69 for the high range. Do I need the high range or the lower one?

I can get Salifert on eBay for $28 and Red Sea for $50 - both with shipping.

Low range. I just bought 100 refills for $25 including shipping. Sounds like i need to set up a export business to AU.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom