Best sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erichm20

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm wondering what type of sand you all recommend for a reef?

When I upgraded to my current tank 8 months ago I used play sand from lowes to save a few dollars, against the advice of many...

Over time I noticed this nasty brown turf-like algae growing on the rocks which will not come off unless I use a razor. So I started researching and I found it most resembles a silicate based algae.
Sure enough, right on the bag of sand it says "May contain silicates". ? I also read that it could continue to leech silicates for years...

Soooo now I am faced with removing/ replacing the current sand or upgrading, either way this sand has to go. I found a 110 on craigslist Im going to checkout tomorrow.

I would like to start this one right so I wanted to see what you all like to use.

I've seen the tropic Eden reef flakes and the Carib sea dry argonite as a couple of popular options. I'm not interested in "live" sand just dry.

If you are looking to avoid silicates, you will want to get aggregate sand. There are probably some reputable sites out there where you can order the stuff bulk...but on my tanks I ordered off of dr foster and smith's. I know there was a site about a year ago that sold sand and rock...but the name is escaping me at this time. Hopefully someone else can chime in for the assist on that one.

I just bought 80lbs of aragonite sand from this link for $60 shipping included.

Aquarium Sand | Argonite Sand | Dry Live Rock - Marco Rocks

I went with the coarse sand and am happy with what I got. It's not graded however so you get a mix of different substrate grain sizes from sugar sand all the way to the caribsea special grade.

I used a kitchen strainer to rinse it off and it separated the sand into these 2 grades.

smZm0Y1.jpg

Overall, it's more work in cleaning than the caribsea aragonite sand but if you are buying a lot of it and are worried about money then I would say it's a good purchase.

I'VE always used play sand not the fine stuff or the coarse mid grade not to fine not to coarse never seen issues

Thanks for the feedback. 54 I wonder if you found a non-silicate type. I like the look of the sand you got mebbid, a good price too.

Sniperhank are you thinking of reefrocks.net?

If you are looking to avoid silicates, you will want to get aggregate sand. There are probably some reputable sites out there where you can order the stuff bulk...but on my tanks I ordered off of dr foster and smith's. I know there was a site about a year ago that sold sand and rock...but the name is escaping me at this time. Hopefully someone else can chime in for the assist on that one.

What I've learned is this get what you like. Save some money and get it. Thousand dollars in corals and cheating out on little things. Doing it once with what you like is cheaper in the long run

Mullet- no kidding that definitely seems to be the case with this hobby.

Ok I've done more research and I've ruled out the tropic eden reef flakes. It's now between the caribsea special grade, the macro rocks, and reef rocks.

Back
Top Bottom