Best skimmer for a 120 gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RezReef

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm thinking of the Vertex 180 or the SWC 180 cone... Or is there a similar skimmer to consider how r the octopus don't really know much bout this brand...

Between the 2 you listed, I would go with the SWC cone.
I run an Octopus NW200 on my 125 and it works great.

actually, MSX, SWC and octopus are basically the same skimmer. which ever is cheapest is the one i would go with.
here is a pic of my MSX 300 (take a look at the lid that came with it)
img_1202026_0_516c1b187624c1fef4cf792f78e19e08.jpg

Like Doug said, they are the same. SWC is Salt Water Connection and they are the manufacturer/importer of Octopus skimmers. MSX are the Octopus Xtreme version sold by Marine Solutions.
But a Vertex is not a Octopus, SWC or MSX. ;)

Last edited:
Like Doug said, they are the same. SWC is Salt Water Connection and they are the manufacturer/importer of Octopus skimmers. MSX are the Octopus Xtreme version sold by Marine Solutions.
But a Vertex is not a Octopus, SWC or MSX. ;)

I Knew that SWC and MSX were the same because MSX buys them from SWC, I believe(not 100% sure, but that is the impression I got). However, I see skimmers which SWC has which Octopus does not and vice versa. Take my skimmer for example: Xtreme Cone 250 1A I don't know of an Octopus counterpart for it. Maybe they both have same bodies and throw on different pumps, I don't know.

Last edited:
actually, MSX, SWC and octopus are basically the same skimmer. which ever is cheapest is the one i would go with.
here is a pic of my MSX 300 (take a look at the lid that came with it)
img_1202739_0_516c1b187624c1fef4cf792f78e19e08.jpg

I'm pretty sure there is more to it than that. Much can be said about a skimmers pump and as I mentioned above, I think they use different pumps.

I'm thinking of the Vertex 180 or the SWC 180 cone... Or is there a similar skimmer to consider how r the octopus don't really know much bout this brand...

Check my pics in my profile of my 120, I am running a vertex, check the skimate its picking up, best bang for your buck for sure!!!

I use to be a huge fan of reef octopus but these vertex are amazing, honestly they are!

the vertex 180 has an 8" reaction chamber and the pump's Air Draw: 720lph @ 32w
the swc cone is also 8" and it's pump is quoted at:
900-1100 lph of air pull with less than 25 watts.

I have heard good things about the SWC, but from personal experience I can not comment. I just know the vertex is working great.

Back
Top Bottom