Best skimmer for biocube 29

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

z_dano

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone, I started a new project and was wondering what was recommended for the biocube 29 as far as a skimmer goes.... Looks like a few options but what do you people use?

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Very true, I can. I plan on doing 5 gallon changes weekly or biweekly. I already have a reef tank , this one is more or less my 11yr olds with "dad's help". Lol
I like having a skimmer, I feel it's a good back up to have even with regular water changes.

I feel like you can always use a skimmer. I have a 20 gallon with a 10 gallon sump and do a 5 gallon w/c weekly. Even though a do 15-20% w/c weekly my aquaticlife skimmer still pulls out tons of dark brown skimmate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have the same experience with my 56 column and sump. Every little bit helps.
What I really want to know is what do other biocube people use? Would they recommend what they have? Performance of said skimmers and etc.

I have a Biocube 29. It is my first every reef tank, so I followed the adage that 'you dont need a skimmer on that small of a tank.' Well fast foward 4 months, and hair algae everywhere, so I picked up a Coralife skimmer made for the Biocube. Makes an amazing difference in water clarity, and my hair algae is mostly gone (though I did reduce lighting and feeding, and added a lawnmower blenny and Mex turbo). Being my first experience with a skimmer, Im sure it needs tuned, but still produces 1/2 C of dark yellow skimate every 2 days.

Is it awesome? I have nothing to compare it to, other than before and after, but Im sold on that alone.

I have a Biocube 29. It is my first every reef tank, so I followed the adage that 'you dont need a skimmer on that small of a tank.' Well fast foward 4 months, and hair algae everywhere, so I picked up a Coralife skimmer made for the Biocube. Makes an amazing difference in water clarity, and my hair algae is mostly gone (though I did reduce lighting and feeding, and added a lawnmower blenny and Mex turbo). Being my first experience with a skimmer, Im sure it needs tuned, but still produces 1/2 C of dark yellow skimate every 2 days.

Is it awesome? I have nothing to compare it to, other than before and after, but Im sold on that alone.

Thank you chefbill. What chamber do you keep your skimmer, the first or second? Do you still have the bio balls?

Some old pics when I was dialing it in. 5gal W/C every week. In the first chamber. No bio ball.

3hovv.jpg

1st chamber with a heater, no bio balls in 2nd, I put LR rubble and macro algae in 2nd

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Cool, what skimmer do you use?

Aquatic Life Internal Mini Protein Skimmer 115

Pain in the butt in the first chamber but will fit. Reason it's there is that the water level is at the right level.

I have the same experience with my 56 column and sump. Every little bit helps.
What I really want to know is what do other biocube people use? Would they recommend what they have? Performance of said skimmers and etc.

I've heard the aquaticlife will fit in the biocube and that's what I use in my 20. It's a pain to get adjusted but once you find that sweet spot it works great and is only 60 bucks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I saw that skimmer on Amazon, the price makes it worth a shot over the hydor and the tunze.. I have a coralife so I'm used to finicky skimmers.. lol

Back
Top Bottom