Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2004, 06:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Best Starfish?

Hello all,

I currently have a 75 gallon reef tank with 140# of LR and 110# of LS. I have quite a few snails, crabs, shrimp, and corals, but no starfish. What is the best starfish to add? I do not entirely believe descriptions I read on websites selling them. I'm worried about getting a starfish that may eat part or some of my livestock.

Thanks

Old 07-24-2004, 09:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a euchanaster (sp?) (got it from live aquaria) . I drip acclimated it for 6 hours and have had no problems with it. He is bright orange and on the smaller scale. I think mine is about 3 inches. I love him!

"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
bizzybeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 03:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

serpent and brittle stars are cool to watch a little ugly and mabey scary at first but even my wife like to watch him run around at feeding time
Old 07-26-2004, 09:56 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

For general purpose clean-up I'd go with a brittle star. They clean up critters and wont harm any of your other livestock. I've had mine since I set up my tank. he's not much for showing off, all I ever see of him are a couple inches of his arms sticking out from under a rock (it always looks like the rock just landed on him!) but I bet if I could actually get him out from under the rock, he'd probably be about a foot in diameter by now. I love to sit by the tank and just watch him pass pieces of food from the tips of his arms along each finger under the arm all the way under the rock... verry cool
Old 07-28-2004, 12:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to arizona reefer
i have a brittle star about 7 inches in in dia. its well worth the 5 dollars tha lhs charges for them
Old 07-28-2004, 07:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
I found a great link that lists lots of stars, just thought I would share it.

http://www.edge-of-reef.com/asteroid...idilistaen.htm

http://www.rimi.or.jp/Edobutu/ASTERO.html
Old 07-28-2004, 07:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have a sand sifting star. stays in the sand bed except when it tries to escape by climbing the glass. by the time he gets half way up he falls and goes about his business. stays off the live rock. not much to look at though. it is fun to watch him surface and submerge.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:24 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I like the combination of brittles and sand sifters. I have two of each in my 75 gallon. My green brittle likes to be seen. I see his entire body often. The greyish pink one is kinda shy, but I can always see his legs/arms/rays (whatever they're called) on the rocks.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
starfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com