best way for growth and color increse in sps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h20addict

Aquarium Advice Regular
Recently started expanding my sps collection and want to take my tank a step forward with either a second reactor with gfo or a kalk doser.
75g internal overflow
6x54w t5
20 long sump, skimmer and reactor running carbon/purgin

How much coral is in the tank right now?
How many fish and what size are they?
How often and how much are you feeding?
What does your tank husbandry consist of?
No one can tell you if you need a kalkwasser drip or a GFO reactor without knowing these things.
I would want 2 more lamps over the tank if I wanted to keep acropora.

How much coral is in the tank right now? 30+ softies,zoas and lps 10+ sps
How many fish and what size are they? Three fish, ora saddleback ora true perc and a bangdi cardinal, all under 2.5"
How often and how much are you feeding? Every two to three days, thawed marine cuisne, was feedin coral freny as well
What does your tank husbandry consist of? 15%water changes every week, bi weekly cleaning of equipment, filter floss and collection cup cleaned daily

Nitrate 0
Ph 8.4
Phos .2
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0

How large are these corals? I honestly don't think you need either if they are all just frags. Are you having a problem coloring up corals?

My main pieces of sps are not massive colonys by any means..(hence the motivation for this post) but not 1" frags either. I do keep 10 to 15 lps and sps frags in this tank as well.
I do get decent color, but i want to do what i cn to help growth and vibrant colors

A quick shot of sum green stylo in front of my 6" by 6" pagoda cup rock.
The birdsnest is one of the "frags" id say at about 3.5"

ForumRunner_20130903_170602.jpg

Test your calcium, alk and magnesium to see if your coral are removing these things from your tank. I have a 55 sps heavy tank and they remove a lot of calcium and alk from the water as they are growing like crazy. If they are you can put in a calcium reactor in your sump. I don't have a sump so I have to dose daily or my calcium and alk drop way to fast. I tested daily until I could figure out how much of each I had to replenish.

Well, if you don't have any phosphates or nitrates I don't think you need a GFO reactor.
Have you checked your calcium and alk levels to see how much they drop between water changes?

I dont have calcium test yet and almost certain my alk test is expired.
Guess i can start with those two items

And magnesium.
BTW, don't buy an API test kit for those. Spend the extra money and get something of higher quality. I like Salifert for at least the calcium kit.

Back
Top Bottom