best way to attach coral frags to live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBReef

Aquarium Advice Freak
i recently got some new frags to put in my tank, but have been having trouble attaching them to my rock. i got this stuff called hold fast from my lfs, but apparently it wont cuzz it doesnt harden right under water or something. i really dont want to have to pull out the rock to dry it first, cuzz it would be a pain trying to organize it again . does anyone know a good way of attaching them under water? thanks for the help.

Depending on the frag there are different methods.

For the more stoney corals you an use superglue GEL and put a good mound of it on the frag and then put it in the water and give it a few small twists in a crevice of the rock you want to put it.

You could also use two part marine epoxy.

For corals that attach faster like the soft corals you could use a rubber band, a string or a little bit of wedding veil to hold the coral to the rock surface until it can attach.

Can you tell us what kind of frags you have and we can suggest more specific procedures for you.

also, for leathery things, you can superglue a little plastic sword onto the rock, and skewer the leather frag onto it, with some glue at the base.

im pretty sure that the hold fast is a two part epoxy. its green on the outside and white in the middle and you have to knead it together until it turns all white. it just doesnt work under water. the frags we have are hammers, candy coral, frog spawn, and a torch, so they all have a hard base. we'll try the superglue and hopefully that will work. thanks a lot for the help.

can you use just any sureglue gel? or is there a special kind? im afraid that the glue has something in it that will harm the water.

The key ingredient to look for in super glue gels is cyanoacrylate. That will tell you it's safe for your tank.

It's a good thing, he just said it was the key ingredient that lets you know it is safe to put into your tank. Hey by the way what exactly is a kudo? And what are they for? Thanks Steve. :D

Back
Top Bottom