Best way to catch a large crab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a large sally lightfoot thats causing problems in my tank. Of course I got it when it was tiny and being the newbie that I was 2 1/2 years ago got it before really researching it.

Whats the best way to catch this guy? Hes quite big, several inches across. Ive tried the baited tilted glass, no real luck on that. Ive seen crab traps online, not too expensive, but didnt know if they work.

Any tips would be appreciated. Hes been eating my snaills and shrimp.. at least I figured out where they went.. poor things. wont get any more until hes gone

Thanks for the help as always!

Piece of twine and a hunk of shrimp tied to it. Plop it in with the string tied to something solid and just wait. The crab will tug at the bait and all you need to do is draw the crab in with the twine into a waiting net.

yea, and also have a net when you do that ^_^ than make some yummy crab soup or eat with some butter and lemon OMGGGG SO HUNGRY ( going to raise crabs now, bye FW ) lolol

Hah good Idea. I actually caught the dang thing tonight..huge! I Just wasnt using a large enough glass.. I used a think whats called a pilsner beer glass ( long, tall beer glass) and propped it up on a rock with some silversides in it, waited 10 mins after lights out and bam! no more sally lightfoot. Im glad that wasnt super stressful.

I know people have had various experiences with this crab, but I would not recommend it unless you have a large ( probably over 75 gallon) tank - I cant tell you how much money I spent on replacing shrimp, crabs and snails because he was catching and eating them. Good scavenger when tiny, but when they get big, they get nasty. Ive seen it swipe at fish as well.. luckily not caught any. Im sure not all are bad, but buy with extreame caution.

I never realized they got that big. Pretty awesome. My LFS always tries to sell me one; glad I never took the bait.

Back
Top Bottom