Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-03-2004, 01:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Best Way To Clean Algae?

I have some decoration coral in (not live) my tank that has started to grow some brown algae on it. What is the best way to clean algae off my coral? Do I have to take it all out and clean it?

Old 03-03-2004, 06:08 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Yep pretty much, you could maybe get som snails to clean it for you.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 09:38 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
If its decorative coral then you can soak it in a water/bleach mixture and then rinse well and let air dry before introducing back into the tank.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 03:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfreek
If its decorative coral then you can soak it in a water/bleach mixture and then rinse well and let air dry before introducing back into the tank.
I'd be careful with using bleech if it's the decorative coral that is painted. I clean a coupl epeices with 1/10 bleech solution and a few weeks later all the color starting peeling/fading off.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to Wally
how long has your system been up and what size is it? What kind of cleaning crew do you have?

The more I learn the less I know
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 02:31 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a 200 gal tank that has been up and running for about 5 months or so. I don't have any creatures in the tank that would be considered a cleaning crew. Any suggestions?
Old 03-04-2004, 09:07 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to Wally
I have a 55 gal display tank with a sump and refugium with macro algae.
Recently I have experienced an algae bloom in the main tank, hair algae and cyanobacteria.

I've been doing weekly 10% water changes to help. I keep track of my parameters and they all seem good to me but I still have the algae? Took a sample to my lfs and they confirmed that the water condition is good.

An employee at my lfs (who has a marine tank herself) suggested that I really should have a better cleaning crew( I only have one snail and some hermits, one sea slug) to handle the algae. She thinks that more snails would really help control the algae...

The more I learn the less I know
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 11:36 AM   #8
steve-s

Being primarily a fish only tank, you will need to be wary of which mobile inverts you choose. What fish will the tank house? Many more aggressive fish species will readily dine on snails and crabs....

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-04-2004, 11:51 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've got some tangs, angels, royal gramma, longnose hawkfish.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:58 AM   #10
steve-s

Then I would start with a mixture of cerith, trochus, nassarius, nerite and margarita if you can find them. Since the tank is still fairly new, I would add about 50 mixed types. Try not to lean too heavily on one species if possible. Each will do a better job on certain area's of the tank. Cerith and nassarius will spend most of their time with the sandbed or glass while the others will be on the rock and glass.

As the tank matures or the need arises, more snails can be added later on.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
algae, clean

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com