Best way to frag mushroom coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm having a bit of good luck ( if you want to look at it in a positive light lol) with my green hairy mushrooms. I'd like to frag a few to be able to give to some local people, but I hae no idea how to go about it.

I did some light reading and theres various opinions it seems. Ive read some say get down closest to the rock on the stock and cut there, but ive also read you can cut them into peices and they just grow. Its pretty hard to make a complete cut ( at least with scissiors) they're huge ( about 4 inches across) and thick base.

How do I a) get them off the rock in one piece ( or does this not matter?) and B) whats the best way to secure them? ( superglue to rock or..? I;ve also heard putting them in a small cup loose with a mesh top and they'll attach by themselves)

Also I am interested in fragging a large zoa colony. Its attached to a large rock and cant be pulled out of water.. is it safe to be cutting these underwater? Ive heard any zoas are highly toxic when fragged.

Any help appreciated. They're pretty, but growing like weeds! :)

I have never really done the cutting method. I know you can cut them like a pizza and as long as there is a piece of the eye on every "slice" they will grow fine. I would put all the pieces in a tupperware container with a mesh lid like you said. You could also rubberband the pieces to a rock. Get a nice X-Acto blade to do all your cutting, anything else isnt sharp and precise enough.

Zoas are fine to cut underwater, I would just do a water change after if you do a lot of cutting. You can make one cut through the mat of them, then use your x-acto blade to cut under the bottom of them. All my rock was soft enough you could just get a very small layer to slice off.

I have never really done the cutting method. I know you can cut them like a pizza and as long as there is a piece of the eye on every "slice" they will grow fine. I would put all the pieces in a tupperware container with a mesh lid like you said. You could also rubberband the pieces to a rock. Get a nice X-Acto blade to do all your cutting, anything else isnt sharp and precise enough.

Zoas are fine to cut underwater, I would just do a water change after if you do a lot of cutting. You can make one cut through the mat of them, then use your x-acto blade to cut under the bottom of them. All my rock was soft enough you could just get a very small layer to slice off.

Wonderful to know. I started researching fragging zoas and got scared to death, I know its good be careful but I got scared to even touch them. I imagine it would still be a good idea to wear gloves?

And no problems with coral / fish loss after fragging zoas as long as you d do a water change? I imagine doing a slightly larger than usual change would help.

I appreciate your help ( and anyone that may post, too) I want to do this right, without hurting myself or my lifestock! :)

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to try some fragging this weekend and get some protective gear for the zoas if I try them. They both grow so quickly.. looking to cut down my colonies a little to make some room.

Thanks for everyones help. Fragging Zoas is a bit harder than it sounds, but I managed ok, and my mother colony ( and I ) are fine! I havent tried to frag the mushrooms yet, but will give that a try sometime here soon.

Defiantly a good idea to wear eye protection and gloves with zoas! I saw them squirt at least once ( even though being super careful to cut the mat and not the polyps), I also used a dust mask to cover my mouth just in case. I survived, and with a bit of time and patience and being careful its not too bad ;)

Back
Top Bottom