best way to get rid of aptasia so it doesnt kill my corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnatbhs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i was thinking getting 2-3 hermit crabs

what about pepperment shrimp?

problem is my tank is 4 days old. i bought it from another guy and set it up so i dont believe it is cycled even though it has live rock and live sand and some biological additive ive been putting in it,.

I have used pepperments in two tanks, works wonders, inexpensive, serve other purposes, and hey....the kids love them! I would not thow anything in a 4 day old tank however. Might want to wait it out until testing shows your tank is ready.

GL!

problem is my tank is 4 days old. i bought it from another guy and set it up so i dont believe it is cycled even though it has live rock and live sand and some biological additive ive been putting in it,.

I had a problem with Aptasia so I bought 8 peppermint shrimps (make sure it is the true perppermint and not the camel type). Within a few weeks 90% of Aptasia are now gone. At this time I only have two shrimps left but boy, these guys are getting pretty big! If the outbreak starts again, I am going to order about 10 more in my 125 gallon tank. DP

The pep shrimp are hit or miss, and if you don't think your tank is cycled, the ammonia may kill them (I would suggest a liquid test kit) to get us some readings.
I get waaaay more satisfaction out of this way:
NanoReefing.Com - Your ultimate guide to saltwater aquariums

That's why I order a bunch of them incase some don't work out. These guys are pretty tame so they don't do any harm to my tentants at all. DP

How big is the tank? DP

I found one in my tank and i used blue vet Aptasia killer. it works well it was dead in 1 day. it came with a needle less syringe and you dont need to inject the substance into the varmint it coats it and kills it.. i believe the LFS guy told me is was just high calcium or something..
Matt

Yup... another vote for the Blue Vet stuff. Just make sure your pumps/powerheads are off when you apply it. All it is is kalkwasser paste... you can make it yourself. Do a search here on "kalk paste" and you should find the details.

peppermint shrimp and camel shrimp are the best way to go. i buy pieces with aptasia specifically for them and they love it.

peppermint shrimp and camel shrimp are the best way to go. i buy pieces with aptasia specifically for them and they love it.

Camel shrimp are known to eat softies as well though. Peppermint shrimp do work, when they do. It's hit or miss and I definitely would not put them in a cycling tank. I agree with those that use some form of kalk. I've used Joe's juice until we found a Pep that begged to come home. :)

Back
Top Bottom