Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2005, 03:15 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Best way to get rid of hair alga?

I haven't had a lot of time in the last couple of months. Death in the family, job issues, and the lawn season (P/T gig) all on me at once.

Got a lot of algae in my 40g breeder (3 or 4 months old now). Use nothing but RO/DI water, limit the lighting to 6 hrs daily, and only one fish lives there. Hoping to farm xenia in this tank. Got a 2" sand bed and a good HOB skimmer.

My rocks have tons of hair algea. The sand has lumps of it all over too.

No excuse for not having checked my phosphates in a couple of months, but assuming my RO/DI unit is working, why would I have phosphates anyway? Nitrates are almost zero. Do have one pc of xenia in there doing OK.

2 Qs --

1) Getting the phosphates to 5 (or .5, I forgot) or less will make it disappear right?

2) Assuming my tap water is properly filtered, how in the heck did I get this bunch of algae?

Any other suggestions?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 04:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
Do you have any direct sunlight on the tank? That will make algae grow enormously. What are your water parameters at? IME i have found that the best way to get rid of hair algae is to take and pick out as much as you can, possible removing smaller rocks and scrub them down with a toothbrush. Get a really good cleanup crew in there. I would recommend getting 60-80 blueleg hermits, and about 30 snails in there along with some emerald crabs. After that do some water changes and wait a couple weeks, you should notice a good amount has been taking care of. I would recommend www.reeftopia.com for inverts. I have had very good luck with them....and their cheap. HTH

Old 05-24-2005, 09:05 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

No light on the tank. Toothbrush cleaning rock in SW I presume in order not to kill any good stguff living on it? What about the sand. I thought i read that if you starved the algae of phosphates it'd disappear.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:56 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
well algae has a weird way of growing in the aquarium from what i have learned. one time when i had no corals and just fish and tried to get rid of it, i had the lights off in the tank for a month and turned them back on it was still alive and grew so bad i couldnt get rid of it.....I shutdown the tank and setup a new one. I have heard that using a toothbrush will help taking the LR outta the tank and just lightly scrub where the algae is and rinse the toothbrush off once you get some algae build up on it. Hair algae will live off and excess nutrients that you will have in the tank. As for the sand i would just scoop it out. HTH
Old 05-25-2005, 02:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just did the rock cleaning thing and my tank looks great now.

I took all rocks (about 65lbs) out of the tank and scrubbed them in buckets filled with tank water. I would not recommend a toothbrush. I purchased a new toilet scrubber and used that, and it worked wonderfully. A toothbrush would have taken FOREVER.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

What is currently in the tank for a cleanup crew and how long has the crew been established?

The most surefire way to get ride of hair algae is to siphon it out and do waterchanges. This can take a while, but the tank will clear up over time. I would not reccomend scrubbing the rocks if it is LR. Removing the rock from the water can be bad for good coraline growth and other life.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 02:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ray, I sent you a return PM. Good Luck
Old 05-25-2005, 03:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock3000
What is currently in the tank for a cleanup crew and how long has the crew been established?

The most surefire way to get ride of hair algae is to siphon it out and do waterchanges. This can take a while, but the tank will clear up over time. I would not reccomend scrubbing the rocks if it is LR. Removing the rock from the water can be bad for good coraline growth and other life.
Yes, I should mention that scrubbing my rocks was a last resort. I did the siphoning and water changes for months. I was at the point where it was scrub the rocks or just give up entirely.

That said, scrubbing the rocks did no harm to any of my tanks inhabitants. I have no corals.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've heard that adding some sugar to your system will kill it (I think it causes a bacteria bloom which smothers out the hair algae and causes it to die). I haven't had to use this but I've got it in the back of my head just in case the day ever comes.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:

I've heard that adding some sugar to your system will kill it (I think it causes a bacteria bloom which smothers out the hair algae and causes it to die). I haven't had to use this but I've got it in the back of my head just in case the day ever comes.
ive read something similiar on this thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=261404
sounds quite possible but there doesnt seem to be any info on anything long term.

Ill give it a try and post any results

Tags
hair

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com