Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi there

I use sechem balance ph buffer, you add the suggested amount and it brings it up 0.1 every dose, you can dose as much as you like per day, and it dosent effect anything else, and I mean anything. I've used it to bring mine up once from 7.9 to 8.2 and it has stabilised and never dropped again, it's a bit pricey but it's the best

Old 05-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I adjusted my powerhead to a slightly different position where it moves the surface water a little better, and I opened up the air valve for just a minute, and within a couple hours I tested the pH and it is already up to 8.0.

shaking up the mixed RO/DI water I get from the lfs for water changes to introduce more air into it is probably a good idea, too.

Thanks guys!

55 gallon reef tank. AquaticLife 4-bulb T5 HO with 4 LED moonlights. Reef Octopus BH-1000 HOB protein skimmer. TLF Phosban Reactor 150 running 400ml of NPX Bioplastics with a Maxi-Jet 1100 and a BRS Reactor running activated carbon with a Maxi-Jet 900. Vortech MP10w.
MBliss81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #13
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
You add baking soda to raise Ph, not lower it. It does however affect your alkalinity levels as well, so be very cautious. I have used it several times to tweak my Ph up just a bit.
That is not true. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. The "bicarbonate" is bound with co2. When the co2 breaks loose it will drop your pH.
If you bake the baking soda it becomes sodium carbonate because the heat drives off the co2. That will raise your pH.

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
"This article actually details two primary recipes. One uses raw baking soda, and the other uses baking soda that aquarists bake before use. The baking drives some of the carbon dioxide out of the baking soda, and raises its pH as well as its alkalinity."

Baked baking soda (sodium carbonate) - "Adding on the order of 0.5 meq/L of alkalinity increases the pH by about 0.3 pH units immediately upon its addition "
Raw baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) - "Adding on the order of 0.5 meq/L of alkalinity drops the pH by about 0.04 pH units immediately upon its addition."
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I use sodium bicarbonate to adjust alkalinity and sodium carbonate to adjust pH.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:34 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBliss81 View Post
I adjusted my powerhead to a slightly different position where it moves the surface water a little better, and I opened up the air valve for just a minute, and within a couple hours I tested the pH and it is already up to 8.0.

shaking up the mixed RO/DI water I get from the lfs for water changes to introduce more air into it is probably a good idea, too.

Thanks guys!
What salt are you using I found that Instant Ocean kept my tank at 7.8 I switched to coral life and it has kept my ph at 8.2
Old 05-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've been using Oceanic Natural Sea Salt Mix. I think I will try another brand when what I've got is gone (which it nearly is). I use mostly saltwater that I get from my lfs for water changes, though. I only use my salt when I need a little extra saltwater, or if I want to make my water a little saltier (the lfs water is always 1.023, and I like to add a little salt to make it 1.024 and add the trace elements that come in the salt mix).
55 gallon reef tank. AquaticLife 4-bulb T5 HO with 4 LED moonlights. Reef Octopus BH-1000 HOB protein skimmer. TLF Phosban Reactor 150 running 400ml of NPX Bioplastics with a Maxi-Jet 1100 and a BRS Reactor running activated carbon with a Maxi-Jet 900. Vortech MP10w.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:57 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

As per a text I read;

Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) can be used as a quick band-aid to raise the pH in a tank. Found in most kitchens, a dose of baking soda will temporarily suffice in an emergency situation until a water change can be made.
Just dissolve one teaspoon of baking soda for each 20 gallons of tank water in a cup of water, then slowly pour it into your aquarium. The pH change will not be noticeable immediately, so wait for about an hour and test again before adding more. Repeat until you obtain the desired pH level.

This a pretty old cure for "old tank" conditions, where you are looking to neutralize organically produced acids, quickly. Like something dies and you don't see it quickly enough. Should be followed by water exchanges, but in an emergency it can save the tank from a Ph crash.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:29 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
That is not true. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. The "bicarbonate" is bound with co2. When the co2 breaks loose it will drop your pH.
If you bake the baking soda it becomes sodium carbonate because the heat drives off the co2. That will raise your pH.

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
"This article actually details two primary recipes. One uses raw baking soda, and the other uses baking soda that aquarists bake before use. The baking drives some of the carbon dioxide out of the baking soda, and raises its pH as well as its alkalinity."

Baked baking soda (sodium carbonate) - "Adding on the order of 0.5 meq/L of alkalinity increases the pH by about 0.3 pH units immediately upon its addition "
Raw baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) - "Adding on the order of 0.5 meq/L of alkalinity drops the pH by about 0.04 pH units immediately upon its addition."
+1

Gregcoyote ccCapt knows what he is talking about... and the person he quoted is a well known name in the aquarium world. I would do more research before saying ccCapt is wrong. And on this one he is right.
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:18 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I don't intend on arguing about it. I do have a minor in chemistry and understand what I am talking about. But everyone to their own opinion. Use limewater if you want the established solution, just be careful how and when you add it. I will not post anymore about it.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's alright guys, I don't want to mess with my alkalinity and stuff anyway. Better gas exchange through greater surface agitation is doing the trick for me.

Although, my Penguin 660R powerhead has become extremely noisy. Just as happened with the Penguin Bio-Wheel power filter I already replaced for the same reason, the impeller shaft has gotten scarred up and now it makes an awful noise whenever it is running. Penguin products are just not built well enough, so I will never be purchasing any of them again.

I just ordered a Hydor Koralia Nano 240 powerhead to replace the Penguin, and that should give me even better surface agitation and water flow over my reef.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com