Best way to increase pH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use the Koralina Magnums in my tank, they are very good. Highly recommended and the price is right. Much better design than a power head for producing current and not chopping up beneficial organisms in the water column.

Yes I read somewhere that if you aim your powerheads to agate the surface it can slightly raise your ph. Hope this helps.

It makes a big difference. The tank needs fresh air exchange all the time. The more the better, even though it promotes evaporation.

I don't intend on arguing about it. I do have a minor in chemistry and understand what I am talking about. But everyone to their own opinion. Use limewater if you want the established solution, just be careful how and when you add it. I will not post anymore about it.
OK. I only quoted facts published by this guy. Maybe he doesn't know what he's talking about. :D
Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping Online Magazine
Randy Holmes-Farley has a BA in chemistry and biology from Cornell University (1982) and a PhD in chemistry from Harvard University (1986). He has 57 patents, numerous publications and several awards in a variety of chemical fields. In 1992 he helped start a pharmaceutical company (GelTex Pharmaceuticals). It was eventually bought by Genzyme where he now has the title of Vice President, Chemical Research. Randy is also the co-inventor of two commercial pharmaceuticals (Renagel and WelChol).

I picked up some SeaChem Reef Buffer along with Calcium, Iodine and Trace Elements supplements and mixed the appropriate amounts into a 20% water change and the result was a nice steady 8.3 pH for the last 3 days since. I'm hoping for some nice strong coral growth now.

Kalkwasser (calcium hydroxide) dosed drop by drop over several hours is a great way. My tank is only a 24g, so I haven't bothered with it (a 5 gallon water change ever week or so isn't a big deal) but dosing kalk extremely slowly is a good way to raise both pH and calcium.

When I say slowly, I mean slowly. pH shock will kill your fish if you just dump the stuff in.

I just dose instant ocean reef accelerator in addition to regular water changes, and I've been giving away pieces of montipora for months now.

ccCapt said:
OK. I only quoted facts published by this guy. Maybe he doesn't know what he's talking about. :D
Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping Online Magazine
Randy Holmes-Farley has a BA in chemistry and biology from Cornell University (1982) and a PhD in chemistry from Harvard University (1986). He has 57 patents, numerous publications and several awards in a variety of chemical fields. In 1992 he helped start a pharmaceutical company (GelTex Pharmaceuticals). It was eventually bought by Genzyme where he now has the title of Vice President, Chemical Research. Randy is also the co-inventor of two commercial pharmaceuticals (Renagel and WelChol).

Gosh, he must be right. ;-;

Back
Top Bottom