Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-12-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Best way to increase pH?

My pH has been hovering between 7.8 and 8.0. What is the best way to increase the pH a little bit? I've read that some people have used baking soda. Would that have negative effects?

55 gallon reef tank. AquaticLife 4-bulb T5 HO with 4 LED moonlights. Reef Octopus BH-1000 HOB protein skimmer. TLF Phosban Reactor 150 running 400ml of NPX Bioplastics with a Maxi-Jet 1100 and a BRS Reactor running activated carbon with a Maxi-Jet 900. Vortech MP10w.
MBliss81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Consider putting carbonate rocks like limestone / marble. They would slowly raise your pH and can provide decorations.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

or tufa rock, aka lace rock, its as porus as live rock but its carbonate based
Old 05-13-2011, 07:29 AM   #4
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Your pH at 7.8 - 8 is fine. There is no need to try and get it any higher.
Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) will slightly lower your pH while raising your alk.
If you bake the baking soda (in an oven for 1 hr at 350) it will become sodium carbonate and will slightly raise your pH while also raising your alk.
Quote:
Consider putting carbonate rocks like limestone / marble. They would slowly raise your pH and can provide decorations.
Quote:
or tufa rock, aka lace rock, its as porus as live rock but its carbonate based
Not true. The pH of the water must be around 7.3 or lower before it starts to dissolve calcium carbonate. If you have a saltwater tank and your pH is that low, everything would be dead.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

So What is the best way to raise your ph?
Mine is always dropping id like to hear some suggestions also.

I just use 'RED SEA reef foundation B' marine buffer which raises the ph of the water.
I use about 1 ml per week
Old 05-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not really worried about it. Mine is really stable and is always between 7.8 and 8.0, which I know isn't bad. But I also know that the ideal conditions for a reef aquarium are between 8.1 and 8.3. I'm not really interested in quick fixes, like adding buffers (which I used to do) because they add instability, which is far worse than having a pH that is slightly lower than ideal.

I already have aragonite in my sandbed, so I don't think adding limestone will make much difference.

Is pH affected by Calcium and Magnesium levels? I need to get a reef test kit, so I have a better idea where those levels are at, so I have a better understanding of what is keeping the pH where it is.
55 gallon reef tank. AquaticLife 4-bulb T5 HO with 4 LED moonlights. Reef Octopus BH-1000 HOB protein skimmer. TLF Phosban Reactor 150 running 400ml of NPX Bioplastics with a Maxi-Jet 1100 and a BRS Reactor running activated carbon with a Maxi-Jet 900. Vortech MP10w.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

You add baking soda to raise Ph, not lower it. It does however affect your alkalinity levels as well, so be very cautious. I have used it several times to tweak my Ph up just a bit.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

You can also try to increase your gas exchange with some fans. C02 buildup also lowers Ph.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Maybe I'll tweak my powerhead to introduce some air into the tank to get some extra gas exchange and see if that helps before I do anything else. Thanks Greg.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Greg's advice is also what I have tried, adjusted one ph causing much more surface disturbance which helped ALOT.

Also did an experiment on RO saltwater mix from the lfs. Tested pH when we got it home following a 15 minute journey, then tested again after 5 minutes of rocking the container - pH increased, only change was water movement and possible a slight reduction in temp.

I know there are 'buffers' you can add, but I know nothing about them so I'm not going to comment further on that, I'm sure someone here knows more about that.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com