BEST WAY TO MOVE A TANK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KMyers18

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20gal reef on a audio rack that needs to be put on a stand but im not sure how is the best way to go about it? I dont want to lose anything but i need to move it before the rack falls apart :lol: I sometimes make a mess and spill water :lol: And it is partical board! Do i have to empty it all the way or will the bottom hold some wieght?

I would remove all of the water and livestock, it will probably be okay to leave in the sand/gravel. The problem isn't in the weight it will hold but in the stress you put on the silicone seams when you try to move it with too much weight in it. HTH, Skip

Well, dont hold it by the bottom glass. Hold it by the edges (Where it sits on anyway) get 2 people to help you (More is better but with a smaller tank that would be hard to get around)

Take out all your equipment.

If you need to take out rocks/water.

Remember, 20 gallons is about 200lbs weight.

i would take out as much water as possible, a friend cracked a 65 gal by moving it while it was on a wooden stand with just 3 inches of water in it

I would empty it, being only 20 gal it won't take long and you should loose nothing. Don't take a chance on moving a tank with stuff in it. I did a 10 gal once (only moved it 3 or 4 inches) and it started leaking, almost ruined my hardwood floors. :roll:

Not far just to a new stand in the same room,it is on top of my audio rack and it needs to move before it falls :lol:

You shoudl not loose anything then, just empty the tank, move it and replace everything in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom