Best way to prevent alage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgthebeast

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay so once upon a time, I had a 25g SW reef tank. Well I cycled for a month or so and then add my first fish, a clown and a green mushroom. Went well for a couple of weeks, I had ditioms and such but every new tank does. Well soon I noticed a new alage growth, the was a type of feather alage one I can't rember the name of now but that alage thrived in reef conditions and eventually chocked my tank to death. I tried everything, from picking it off my hand to picking rocks up and scribing with the tooth brush. Now that was over a year ago and I no longer have said tank though I do have my FW. I decided to try a SW agian and have set up a 10g that's currently cycling.

So I'll admit i wasn't has a diligent has I should have been with my water changes e though I did and do use a ro/di filter.

So any way I can prevent this from happening agian?

Just monitor your water parameters and keep nitrates and phosphates low. How you do that is up to you.

The straight answer to your question about preventing unwanted algae is use ro/di, less feeding, minimize light preferably actinic or blue. Most algae proliferate with specific light frequency (white).

Back
Top Bottom