best way to remove big bristle worm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeymourJustice

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello everyone

i have had an established reef aquarium for a couple years. about 4 months ago i added some new live rock to it. upon adding the live rock, i noticed some bristleworms came with it. not really a big deal considering i am aware they are beneficial in a lot of ways, but in particular i have one that is HUGE, a little over an 8th inch thick and about 7 inches long (probably at least a foot long if stretched out!!)

i have been fine with it in there for awhile, but it always seems like it is slightly bigger every time i see it! i'm sure the worms have multiplied too because i a see a lot of smaller ones lately

i tried buildng a trap and put a piece of tilapia in it for bait, came and checked it and a bunch of snails got trapped in the trap but no worms

i am wondering, what is my best bet for catching this thing? it seems like its very smart because when i try to even LOOK at it it squirms away into hiding...any thoughts? i had a little piece of heteroxenia completely disappear the other day and i can't think of any other culprit

I`ve heard of soaking the rock in super high salinity water will force them out of the rock.

i am aware of that method but i don't think i'm ready to take my tank apart. plus it resides in the big foundation rocks on the bottom

i'm just wondering if i even have to worry about it being harmful. it's just so big

I have many in my tank I and I dont even worry about taking them out. They are good janitors and will not harm your livestock. I just thought you had your mind made up to get rid of them.

just the big guy lol

well i wouldn't mind it but i'm just unsure of how harmful it could be. i'd be willing to keep it if i figured out for sure if it's harmful to have one that's THAT BIG.

i have a couple of them, some big, some small. I don't think they are a problem not matter how big they get. Just a little creepy when real big. I saw one at the lfs in a seahorse tank, that was at least 8 inches long.

Back
Top Bottom