Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-17-2008, 11:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Originally Posted by Patroklos View Post
My tank is a 65g and those are two Koralia 3s in there. I am only two months into the hobby myself, but my undertanding is that you want to create zones of flow so that you can support both high and low flow corals. At the same time, you don't want any dead zones. To accomplish this in my tank I have the two power heads pointed at each other and down a bit so the flow meets in the center of the tank. That gives me a very turbulant high flow area in teh middle water column, and leaves my upper and lower water column with reduced flow but not stagnate.

If I were you I would just experiment. try different configurations and then sprinkle sand into the water and watch how it moves through the water column.

hey thanks for the idea, the sand trick sounds like it would work pretty good. Nice one.

bwilcox1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:01 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Can't help much with your flow situation. Seems like you have the right idea now so all that's left is to kinda mess with it till you get it the way you like it. If you do happen to add another power head i might suggest putting it lower in the tank and bouncing it off the glass a couple times. Having flow over your sand bed (without blowing sand everywhere obviously) helps to keep cyano and diatoms from growing on your sand. Won't stop them from happening but just makes it harder for it to grow. Just a thought though.

pat8you is offline   Reply With Quote

flow, set up, water flow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com