best ways to control calc, mag, alk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I should have asked this in the very beginning. What do you guys do to keep your calc, mag, and alk stable? I'm very interested to hear how you, the more advanced aquarists, keep their tanks stable.

I should have asked this in the very beginning. What do you guys do to keep your calc, mag, and alk stable? I'm very interested to hear how you, the more advanced aquarists, keep their tanks stable.

I use kalk in my top off water. 6 tbps per 10 gallons and it keeps cal and akal at a good stable level.

I dose a combination of calcium chloride (calcium), sodium carbonate or soda ash (alk) and a solution of magnesium chloride and Epsom salts (magnesium). I use medical dosers to add these very slowly. All this and instructions are on BRS.

I dose a combination of calcium chloride (calcium), sodium carbonate or soda ash (alk) and a solution of magnesium chloride and Epsom salts (magnesium). I use medical dosers to add these very slowly. All this and instructions are on BRS.

BRS is the best, them and Live Aquariua. I'll check out the instructions they have, thanks.

I use kalk in my top off water. 6 tbps per 10 gallons and it keeps cal and akal at a good stable level.

I've tried that but I'm not sure exactly how much to add at a time since mine seems to fluctuate so out of paranoia I stopped and just test and add one or twice a week.

I've tried that but I'm not sure exactly how much to add at a time since mine seems to fluctuate so out of paranoia I stopped and just test and add one or twice a week.

It works really well when you use it consistently but you need to have your water at the correct values first then does with kalk continuously. Start by using 1 tsp per 5 gallons of top off water the max dose being 2 tsp per gallon and check to make sure your Ph does not rise more than 2 percent more than what you started with.
Hope this helps!

I'm using an ATO system for dosing the kalk so it may not work for you if your just topping off manually. I also have a RKE that monitors Ph so I can see the values as the kalk is being added by the ATO. Good luck!

I trxt mine one and again the next. The diff is how much ur tank uses in a days time

I trxt mine one and again the next. The diff is how much ur tank uses in a days time

That's correct everyone's tank is different in some way thus the reason for starting out with a small dose for a week then increase as needed.

I just do water changes. 50 gallons a week on a 450 gallon system. I honestly don't know what my levels are as I haven't tested in a long time. My corals seem to be just fne however. growing at a fast (fast enough) pace.

I'd say once a tank is stable and you have figured out how much is your weekly maintenance requires, then testing is unnecessary. However, you have to keep watch of any sign of abnormality before it gets out of control.

I'm using an ATO system for dosing the kalk so it may not work for you if your just topping off manually. I also have a RKE that monitors Ph so I can see the values as the kalk is being added by the ATO. Good luck!

Thanks, I'm buying an ato this week. Sorry it took so long to reply, I was camping this post weekend.

Things shouldn't get abnormal if you are doing regular water changes.

I sometimes wonder if I'm not doing enough. I'm not set up to do large changes and they are difficult for me at the moment. I just do 5 gal for a 56 gal plus sump which is probably 5-6 gallons. Basically I change the water in the sump. If I do more I would have to take and fill into the DT and I wasn't totally comfortable doing that. I do changes every week but maybe I should do more.

I hear you. I maintained a guy's tank that was set up that way for a little while and I hated it. Maybe if you wanted to do more, you could just do the 5 gallons but take less time between changes...Either that or make the sump bigger. I have a massive sump and can leave the tank run while I'm doing a change. I wouldn't have it any other way. I realize that many people aren't in that situation however (no wife or parents to answer to).

Doug, this is your mother...get that stinky sump out of my kitchen.

Thought a little *****ing might make you feel at home with the rest of us that have to keep significant others happy. My fish room is in the basement, where my wife doesn't yet care what a mess I make, so far. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom