best ways to control calc, mag, alk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

z_dano

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been having a slight problem lately keeping these 3 in check. They seem to vary every week. Mag will be good for weeks the suddenly I noticed a dip. Calc is pretty constant but on occasion it dips more than I expect also. Then there is all, this seems to drop the most thru the week but that too varies at times. I am dosing calc and alk, which sends to help stabilize the calc but seems only temporary in keeping the alk up. Any suggestions?

Need some more details. Tank size. Coral type and amount as well as any other issues that could effect those values. Unless you have a big coral load, there isn't much absorbing calcium. The values do bounce around some. Just try to keep the values in the safe range. Water changes are always your safest bet. Dosing works well, but you have to monitor it a lot.

Sorry about that. It's a 56 gallon column with sump. I have 2 chalice, a hammer, 2 frogspawn (one is pretty small) a lobo, toadstool, an orange cap, and 2 other monties (one may be a sunset, supper cool but tiny), an abundance of mushrooms, xenia (weeds), some Acans, a Kenya tree (also a pain), gsp, a couple types of zoa, and some other polyps (can't remember type). Oh also a coupe favia. Most of this is small except the mushroom colony and the xenia.

I only dose what I can test for and overdosing terrifies me so I usually underdose.

Thanks for the help Greg.

I guess my biggest concern is keeping my alk steadier.. that's the one that seems to really dip st tines... Oh I forgot I also have a candy cane, trumpet, and a Duncan... Guess I have more stuff than I thought. :)

Pardon the posts, spell check is a killer when your in a rush.

Your first concern should be maintaining alkalinity, too low and corals start dying. There is nothing wrong with dosing alk without dosing calcium if that's high enough already. Many folks add a dissolved spoonful of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to their tank daily as many things can draw alkinity down. Your calcium and mag levels can be dosed, but a good reef salt mix may even reduce the need of that.

Thanks Greg,

I had lost a bird's nest I believe be cause of an alk drop. I do dose alk but inconsistently... I'll try dosing twice a week and if that balances off I'll just add that to my top off water. I wonder if my salt mix is insufficient? Aquavitro salinity

For the price I paid I'm not a huge fan either, once this bucket is done I'm going to try something else.

It's possible that it could be the salt mix. It's not uncommon to run into a bad bucket here and there.
Yeah, I saw that stuff at my local spot and it was almost twice as much as the others.
How low is your alk dropping?

Melosu thanks for the links.

Mr x - it dropped to around 7 (the day my birds nest went) and has dipped to 8-9 on wire a few occasions. I'm hoping to keep it around 11 but can't seem to make that a reality consistently.
*edit 5.6, I just checked my log

The dropping is what killed the birdsnest, not it being 7. I have kept a tank pretty low like that before and didn't have any ill effects from it. Just reread...5.6 might do it. I've never had it that low.

Anything above 9 (170ppm) should be okay IMO.

I may have to dose still but it's better than struggling to keep it higher.
Thanks.
Question? Would it b be detrimental to have alk swings of 2 dkh even if they are both in the"acceptable range"?

I may have to dose still but it's better than struggling to keep it higher.
Thanks.
Question? Would it b be detrimental to have alk swings of 2 dkh even if they are both in the"acceptable range"?

At all cost, you need to keep the swings down. Don't get in a hurry, you could cause harm in raising it too quickly.

The dropping is what killed the birdsnest, not it being 7. I have kept a tank pretty low like that before and didn't have any ill effects from it. Just reread...5.6 might do it. I've never had it that low.

I agree, I was on vacation when it happened and although I had someone checking the tank they didn't know how to test anything. My fault totally and lesson learned there.

+ 1 but a good reef salt mix may even reduce the need of that.
I too had this problem . increase wc i do 40 % every other week ,feed every other day ,changed my salt to instant ocean reef crystals and stopped all of the trace element dosing ..i just add calcium when needed .

+ 1 but a good reef salt mix may even reduce the need of that.
I too had this problem . increase wc i do 40 % every other week ,feed every other day ,changed my salt to instant ocean reef crystals and stopped all of the trace element dosing ..i just add calcium when needed .

I did buy a good reef salt or at least that is what I had intended to do. I may increase my water changes to 20% but that seems like a lot to do on a weekly basis considering I don't have any other issues really.
I've been doing this for long enough to feel like I know what I'm doing, but I can't seem to get a handle on keeping this one thing consistent. To be honest I was hoping for a quick and easy fix. (Silly me, I should know by now nothing is quick or easy or cheap when it comes to reefs)
I'll continue to check and dose until I can determine a dosing schedule. Thanks for the help and info everyone.

Back
Top Bottom