bi color blennie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2revup

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, i have recently purchased a bi color blennie, i have had him for about 2 weeks, i am finding it hard o feed him, i have put different foods in his little caves and crevises, but only last night i saw him go to one and he takes a mouthfull and spits it out (it was marine green - all my fish love this meat and green eaters), i see him go over to the rock and take a bit of i dont know what maybe alge (not much there really)
should i be worried his belly donst seem to be concaved but he is a fast critter its hard to get a real good look?
why do you guys feed them.
I offer
brine shrimp
mysis
krill (cut very small)
nori
marine green
and the occasanal live food (black worms brine etc)

I have noticed that my bi colors did not start eating the meaty foods until they were in the tank for a couple of months. These guys are grazers, and so long as you have a decent amount of live rock for him to 'snack' on he should be fine. I would put a bit of dried seeweed in there once a week or so, and keep doing what you are doing. Sooner or later, he will eat the same stuff the other fish do, but I have had two of these fish for the past 8 years and both acted the same way - I never saw them eat until they were in the tank for a few months. My first one I had for about 5 years and I got this one about 3 years ago. He eats everything you mentioned except for the krill btw.

Great thanks for that abnmojo, I have been putting some seawead in the small holes but the yellow tang gets to it before him, LOL
Thats great to know that they are like this, i was starting to worry - they are such characters to wtah in the tank, mine is always up to something.

I find that not many of my fish really go for the krill either, i use this manly for the shrimp and corals.

thanks again

Have you tried soaking the food in garlic? My fish go crazy when I do that.

I agree with roka64, my leopard wrasse wasn't eating anything that I put in there. I got some garlic extreme and now he is the first one to get the food. However when I had my bicolor he ate from the first day that I got him. I got him hooked on the formula two.

Back
Top Bottom