bicolor dottyback vs. yellowtail damsel...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackdp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just added a bicolor dottyback (Psuedochromis paccagnellae) to my 20 gallon long tank. The only other fish in there is a yellow tailed damsel. Just wondering if anyone can guess at how the two will get along. I know they're both territorial but will 20 gallons give them enough room to split up? TIA

should be fine agreed I have had both they are both a holes. One will dominate hte other but this is life

In my experience, yellow-tailed damsels are pretty passive compared to other types and should not be housed with aggressive tankmates.......

If the yellow tail loses the battle to the dottyback then I'll throw a party. I hate that yellow tail, he's been in the tank since I cycled it and tormets every fish I've tried to put in there. Other damsels, gobies, clownfish, that damsel is a real pain, if I could catch him, I'd cook him up for dinner. :evil:

I like all of my damsels.
They are all peaceful to my other fish as well.
I guess its luck of the draw.
0X

Damsels are strange fish. I've had some that were incredibly mean in one tank then switched them to another tank and they were the least agressive fish in the new tank. I currently have three damsels, a blue devil, a yellow tail, and a blue velvet and they are all very peaceful to the other fish...although the blue devil bites my hand if I get near any of his sleeping holes he digs :roll:

Well, the update is the Pseudochromis has been stuck in a small LR cave since adding him on Fri. He comes out to eat and the yellow tail chases him right back in. I'd read that these dottybacks would hold their own against even larger fish. These 2 are about the same size, so apparently I just got a spineless dottyback. Hopefully he'll grow some cahones over time and give the damsel a good walloping. :D

Back
Top Bottom