Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2014, 10:15 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

are you using RODI water?
what's your skimmer?
how much flow in the tank?
how many fish you have in the tank? and the size?
how often do you do water changes?

i would restart the tank if i were you

Old 03-21-2014, 10:24 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I would use Kent Tech-M. Get a Salifert Mg kit and slowly raise your mag to 1600-1700. In about a week from that point you'll see all of that hair algae wilting away.
Cut back on feeding and up your water changes to keep it away.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:26 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm not a fan of chemicals. I had gha and just pulled it off in chunks and put it into another container with water to clean my hands. Did this over the course of a week and it disappeared. Never messed with cyano yet.

I agree with Carey that you must find the source of the nutrient problem. Otherwise nothing is going to work.
Good luck.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:33 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

I had this same problem. But then my lighting electrocuted my tank and shocked everything. No more algae. No more ich. Fish still are alive too. I highly suggest not doing that though. My pump hose fell off the power head and shot into my light, making a stream of electric water into my tank. But now my tank is perfect again
Old 03-22-2014, 10:29 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerinanyon View Post
I had this same problem. But then my lighting electrocuted my tank and shocked everything. No more algae. No more ich. Fish still are alive too. I highly suggest not doing that though. My pump hose fell off the power head and shot into my light, making a stream of electric water into my tank. But now my tank is perfect again

Lol probably a bad idea to get rid of algae!

I am having the same issues currently I have isolated the issue and am doing water changes with cutting and pulling off all I can each time. Slowly getting better. I can't pull everything out and scrub too much and restart tank due to the copious amount of soft corals, mushrooms, sponges, etc that I don't want to lose.
Mr X will raising mag that high effect anything else in tank?
Old 03-22-2014, 10:37 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

A higher mag level wont adversely affect anything. Just raise it slowly and test often. It will kill off the bryopsis algae not sure about the other kinds though.

Tags
algae, big, problem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com