BIG Bag!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Z

zacdl

I found this surfing the net...
Says it treats 4,000 gallons!

bulk%20Instant%20Ocean.jpg

I bet just the shipping on that would set you back a pretty penny!!

hahaha can we say overkill ? or in the event you want to turn your swimming pool into a mini ocean, there you go.

How many pounds would a bag like that weigh?

Must be alot!

well the small buckets weigh in at 48 lbs and they treat like 100ish gallons ??? so that bag weighs 1920 lbs if my calculations are correct, excluding the pallet it is on.

Sea World, I believe, pumps in ocean water and filters/treats it prior to dumping it into their systems. Much cheaper in the long run than making RO/DI water and adding salt.

Interesting concept. I wonder how effective that would be to market..

"Purified Ocean water!"..... I can see the dollar bills now... :p

What are they marketing as purified ocean water? Mixed water that's gone through a Brita filter?

ROFLMAO :lol:

<3 Petstupid... er smart. :roll:

Actually its hard to believe but seaworld does use IO for its salt water.

"Most public aquariums located inland use artificial seawater. Among these are Sea World at Orlando, Florida and the John G. Shedd Aquarium at Chicago, Illinois. Formerly, the latter used natural seawater held in reservoirs with a total capacity of 1 million gallons. These reservoirs were replenished periodically by natural seawater brought up the Mississippi River by barge from the open waters of the Gulf of Mexico. With the rising costs of transportation, however, it became more economical for the Shedd Aquarium to make its own seawater by adding 31 tons of salt (with trace elements added) to every 285,000 gallons of freshwater. An electric mixer is used for mixing 600 gallons at a time in a special tank; then the mixture is transferred by hose to the large reservoirs."[/quote]

Our aquariums at the Minnesota Zoo use these large IO pallets. They have 24 of them lined up at any given time. Pretty impressive to see. That is a lot of salt. Where did you get the pic, Zach?

Back
Top Bottom