big brother is making it so hard for me to care for my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pokmijn

Aquarium Advice Freak
i am so frustrated about my brother messing with my reef... here's whats happening, so my lights are on from 8am-2pm and i do water changes every week and everyday when i come home from school(11pm) my lights are on and i ask who turned it on and my brother will say "your dumb the corals will die you dont have the lights long enough" and when i do water changes at the end of every week he would say "watch you're gonna kill everything you change the water too much" my light are on right now when i got home(11:16pm)

i want to find a way to stop him from turning on the light but i cant find a way, does anyone know how, i have them on timers but he just turns it on.

(didn't know where to post this but feel free to move thread just needed the blow off some steam)

Are your timers in your stand? and if so does your stand have doors? put a barrel lock on the doors and then only you can turn things on and off.

Are your timers in your stand? and if so does your stand have doors? put a barrel lock on the doors and then only you can turn things on and off.

my timer isn't in my stand i dont have enough room down there all the it would fit down there is my sump i already thought of that...luckly i haven't gotten any algae outbreak from the long period of light being on. somedays i would just almost leave the light on forever but i cant do that. maybe ill have to build a cheap stand just for now and add a lock to it.

ah ok thats the only thing I could think of at the moment. must be really cramped down there if there isnt room to mount a small power strip with timers to the upper portion of the inside of the stand.

Yeah locks do wonders. Otherwise have someone draw you up a sceintific article about period of lights on and wave it in his face.

Okay, your lights are on fron 8am-2pm. That is just 6 hours. They probably should be on for at least 8 hours, if not more depending on your corals. Why not set the timer to come on at 3pm and have them stay on till 11pm? If your brother comes in and they are already on then he will leave it alone, and feel vindicated.

However, as has been touched on, where are the adults? Can't some meeting be had where parameters are going to be set for both him and you to abide by? I know lots of homes have chaos and no parental intervention.

All in all though, your choice is to allow things to go as they are, or find a solution.

Good luck, Bill.

I agree that the hours of lighting are not enough in most circumstances so in that respect, he is correct. I personally shoot for 10hrs. As for your brother not respecting your property, that is something for you to bring up with your parents as others have stated.

I read the title to this thread and thought the government was spying on you and telling you what to do with your aquarium. Either that or you were on a reality show.

Okay, your lights are on fron 8am-2pm. That is just 6 hours. They probably should be on for at least 8 hours, if not more depending on your corals. Why not set the timer to come on at 3pm and have them stay on till 11pm? If your brother comes in and they are already on then he will leave it alone, and feel vindicated.
My thoughts completly,

I would agree with leaving the lights on longer. Is this really an attempt of your brother messing with you or actually trying to save your corals? I mean even if your lights are on, I don't see it doing much harm.

I hate it when people screw up my tanks. I had a party and someone dumped a whole bottle of Russian Vodka in my platy fry tank. All the platy's died. :(

I had someone pour beer in my cichlid tank at a party and the next day they were swimming around doing flips, twists, swimming upside-down, I did a PWC and ran a Magnum for a day and they all lived.

will i know 6 hours isn't that long but thats only for the metal halides...well anyways my brother is like way older then me he started the tank 2 years ago and he never turned the lights off and he had major algae so when gave up and took it down i started putting everything back after a couple of months, and the parents wouldn't care...but well i was away for this weekend just got back and my lights been on since friday when i left and im see some aglae but its not bad.

the reason i only have 6 hours of metal halide right now is because i just got over hair algae

ill have to lock it and just make room its getting out of hands.

I had someone pour beer in my cichlid tank at a party and the next day they were swimming around doing flips, twists, swimming upside-down, I did a PWC and ran a Magnum for a day and they all lived.

Lucky it was only a beer and not a whole bottle of vodka. lol people are such idiots when they're drunk.......i guess i shouldn't be pointing fingers.:rolleyes:

ya id say changing the hours would be a great idea...that would also annoy me very much ha im lucky my brother knows more about tanks than i do so i can trust him!

Back
Top Bottom