Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2015, 08:04 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

And would i need 2 submersible pumps ? One for the overflow box and one for the return inside the pump. Thank you for helping me through this

Sent from my SM-T217S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Madmike10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:25 AM   #12
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

A sump is another body of water under the tank to store your equipment. It can also be used for such things as a refugium, a safe place for algae to grow.
You will need one pump to do this. You'll want to get one rated at higher gph than your overflow box.
I like CPR overflow boxes. It has a nipple for an aqua lifter to attach to it. This is a dosing pump, but it will suck any air that gets into the overflow's 'U' that can lead to a loss of siphon and an overflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:37 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
You should drill the tank while it's empty. Relying on gravity to deliver water to the sump is much safer than relying on a siphon. It's super easy to do.
Here is everything you need plus step by step videos-
Overflow Box 1500 GPH
Old 01-07-2015, 08:24 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm with doing the overflow box- if you are not

Quote:
NOT A SINGLE SIPHON LOSS IN 26 YEARS! NEED WE SAY MORE? YES, BECAUSE YOU NEED TO KNOW WHAT MAKES A SAFE AND RELIABLE PREFILTER BOX VS A CHEAP COPY OR POOR DESIGN
prefilter box, siphon box, overflow box, siphon overflow, Eurobrace, Euro-brace, Euro-tank

Check craigslist, sometimes you run into some of these items for cheap-also look at:

For protein skimmer take a look at
Protein Skimmer
Old 01-07-2015, 09:31 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

-Says the sellers of overflow boxes.
There are variables to consider. If for any reason the return pump puts out less than the correct gph, the siphon can fail. It has nothing to do with cheap overflow boxes. It could be obstructions. What happens if some macro algae or a snail gets caught in the return pump?
Old 01-07-2015, 09:45 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare View Post
I'm with doing the overflow box- if you are not

prefilter box, siphon box, overflow box, siphon overflow, Eurobrace, Euro-brace, Euro-tank

Check craigslist, sometimes you run into some of these items for cheap-also look at:

For protein skimmer take a look at
Protein Skimmer
Lol that's absurd. Their "tubed" design is no different from any other tubed design and they are riddled with problems. I used one that was build basically the same for a long time and it was a nightmare.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:34 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
There are variables to consider. If for any reason the return pump puts out less than the correct gph
If for any reason....and the what if...lol

Quote:
What happens if some macro algae or a snail gets caught in the return pump?
How likely is that to happen? Plenty of what "if" or any "reason" of things in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Lol that's absurd. Their "tubed" design is no different from any other tubed design and they are riddled with problems. I used one that was build basically the same for a long time and it was a nightmare.
Just cause it's "build basically the same " does that mean its the same?
If you had one of his system i will say, there goes his 26 yrs out the window. 2 of mine friend have been running his for the past 3-4 yrs. One has 180g
that didnt want to drill his aquarium & the other same with a 100g. They are using his system. I have yet to see any problems from his on anyone from here to reef central.

I have read on other forum that he walks with you and talks to you about everything....that is something you really dont see too much today. First class if you ask me for 26 yrs...
Old 01-07-2015, 01:45 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:

How likely is that to happen? Plenty of what "if" or any "reason" of things in the world.

Just cause it's "build basically the same " does that mean its the same?
If you had one of his system i will say, there goes his 26 yrs out the window. 2 of mine friend have been running his for the past 3-4 yrs. One has 180g
that didnt want to drill his aquarium & the other same with a 100g. They are using his system. I have yet to see any problems from his on anyone from here to reef central.

I have read on other forum that he walks with you and talks to you about everything....that is something you really dont see too much today. First class if you ask me for 26 yrs...
The only difference between mine and the one you linked is the connector that goes down to the tank and the rear box is a little deeper. The meat and potatoes of the design, the U tube are the same. Bubbles can still accumulate in those tubes very easily.

Furthermore, their wall of text is full of conflicting information. It's a gimmick move on the companies part that's trying to make their products seem better than their competition; when really they are just the same.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:34 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Im not really wanting to drill a hole into the aquarium. It costed way to much cash.

Madmike10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:47 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Very likely if you have snails in your sump, or a refugium before your return pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmike10000 View Post
Im not really wanting to drill a hole into the aquarium. It costed way to much cash.

It's very easy to do so, and done on a regular basis. As a matter of fact, someone drilled multiple holes in every reef ready aquarium on the planet.

Tags
advice, ate, big, conversion, fresh, freshwater, salt, saltwater, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com