Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-07-2015, 05:31 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist

I dont want to do it in case i dont want to half a saltwater in a few years or so ahead

Sent from my SM-T217S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Madmike10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:30 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmike10000 View Post
I dont want to do it in case i dont want to half a saltwater in a few years or so ahead

Sumps work just as well on fresh water tanks as they do on salt. But you can run a sump on an overflow box, you just have to be aware that there are risks. Check the tube regularly and it will be fine.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:24 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Very likely if you have snails in your sump, or a refugium before your return pump.
""If"" you have snails in your sump "or" a refugium before...got ya! So if neither we are good to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post

Furthermore, their wall of text is full of conflicting information. It's a gimmick move on the companies part that's trying to make their products seem better than their competition; when really they are just the same.
Just looks like good information to me in that wall of txt. That snake oil he is selling must be good for doing it for so long and so many products he sells as well.

So, again.... there is a "slight" difference between your old system and his as stated even if so small. For me, ive seen them working with no issues, havent heard any others with issues.....I'm a number kind of guy, so if there is a few out there i will say so. On Mike's grid about a year ago, power was shuting off and on for about week for whatever reason FPL had going on....about 2/3 times a day in the evening time.... Not one issues in the start up of the siphon. The only problem he had was with 2 of his koralia. One was spinning the other way and another with clicking trying to start when power came on.

For the record- If it was me i will drill that thing. OP doesn't feel comfortable enough in doing so.... cause what "if" he cracks his glass. If me, I will save and have someone do it for you. Check with an LFS if they will do it for you. Around here is about $10- $20 range for 1-4 holes. Check and ask it wont hurt. They made come out to you for a little extra or you are gonna have to take the aquarium to them. Or buy some glass and do a few test before getting your feet wet if you go that route. Even a sump on the freshwater side is awesome and the way to go IMHO. With a nice wet/dry and you are set..Good luck!
Old 01-07-2015, 07:44 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare View Post
For the record- If it was me i will drill that thing
Why? It sounds like you feel HOB overflows are bulletproof.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:46 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Why? It sounds like you feel HOB overflows are bulletproof.

Cause what "If" i dont like the way they look, bud
Old 01-07-2015, 08:06 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

I looked through the choices and the option of having a hole and letting gravity take the water down seems like a better way but for now ill go with an overflow to avoid potentially damaging the glass. Tanks this big start to get mad expensive as most of you probably know. If it dosent work well duting the cycle ill have to hire someone to make the hole

Old 01-07-2015, 08:07 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

Would this be a good box to try http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewit...FaNj7Aods2gAtg

Old 01-08-2015, 09:33 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmike10000 View Post
Would this be a good box to try CPR CS Overflow Boxes

Yes, but that one requires a pump called an aqualifter, which ensures the siphon will restart after a power outage.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:32 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare View Post
""If"" you have snails in your sump "or" a refugium before...got ya! So if neither we are good to go!

Just looks like good information to me in that wall of txt. That snake oil he is selling must be good for doing it for so long and so many products he sells as well.

So, again.... there is a "slight" difference between your old system and his as stated even if so small. For me, ive seen them working with no issues, havent heard any others with issues.....I'm a number kind of guy, so if there is a few out there i will say so. On Mike's grid about a year ago, power was shuting off and on for about week for whatever reason FPL had going on....about 2/3 times a day in the evening time.... Not one issues in the start up of the siphon. The only problem he had was with 2 of his koralia. One was spinning the other way and another with clicking trying to start when power came on.

For the record- If it was me i will drill that **** thing. OP doesn't feel comfortable enough in doing so.... cause what "if" he cracks his glass. If me, I will save and have someone do it for you. Check with an LFS if they will do it for you. Around here is about $10- $20 range for 1-4 holes. Check and ask it wont hurt. They made come out to you for a little extra or you are gonna have to take the aquarium to them. Or buy some glass and do a few test before getting your feet wet if you go that route. Even a sump on the freshwater side is awesome and the way to go IMHO. With a nice wet/dry and you are set..Good luck!
I never said it was snake oil. Just that he was trying to pass off an average product as extraordinary and was stretching to make it sound that way.

The problem with that type isn't restarting, which they will all do every time; but instead a gradual loss of flow due to a build up of air bubbles accumulating in the U tube. If you don't catch them it can cause a complete failure of the siphon.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:38 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

I believe that the bubbles accumulate when the return flow is not perfectly set to match the drain. If it's less than ideal, it will still run, but will lead to the scenario you speak of.

Tags
advice, ate, big, conversion, fresh, freshwater, salt, saltwater, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com