Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2015, 10:51 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I believe that the bubbles accumulate when the return flow is not perfectly set to match the drain. If it's less than ideal, it will still run, but will lead to the scenario you speak of.
+1 but over time the flow rate can change on your pump. For example, my current one has a pre filter that I use. If it becomes clogged it drops the flow rate by a large amount.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:06 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Yes...and this was my point earlier. Changes in flow do happen, and aren't as rare as"Rare" tried to make it seem.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:19 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Yes...and this was my point earlier. Changes in flow do happen, and aren't as rare as"Rare" tried to make it seem.

Your were more focus on snails and loss of power on the pump side. My point was siphon lost due to power going on out and the restart of the siphon.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:41 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Activist

Would i have to get a pumo for my return with 1200gph because the overflow is 1200gph

Sent from my SM-T217S using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Madmike10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:21 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
-Says the sellers of overflow boxes.
There are variables to consider. If for any reason the return pump puts out less than the correct gph, the siphon can fail. It has nothing to do with cheap overflow boxes. It could be obstructions. What happens if some macro algae or a snail gets caught in the return pump?
I wasn't focused on anything in particular except that drilling a tank is much better than using a HOB overflow. Note the "for any reason" comment. You can use all the silly smileys you like, but the bottom line is that drilling a tank is better than not. And then you totally contradicted yourself and recommended drilling.
Quote:
You should drill the tank while it's empty. Relying on gravity to deliver water to the sump is much safer than relying on a siphon. It's super easy to do.
Here is everything you need plus step by step videos-
Overflow Box 1500 GPH
-This is what prompted you to comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare View Post
Your were more focus on snails and loss of power on the pump side. My point was siphon lost due to power going on out and the restart of the siphon.
I wasn't focused on anything in particular except that drilling a tank is much better than using a HOB overflow. You can use all the silly smileys you like, but the bottom line is that drilling a tank is better than not. And then you totally contradicted yourself and recommended drilling.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:36 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I wasn't focused on anything in particular except that drilling a tank is much better than using a HOB overflow. Note the "for any reason" comment. You can use all the silly smileys you like, but the bottom line is that drilling a tank is better than not. And then you totally contradicted yourself and recommended drilling.
Sorry, there bud... I was agreeing with your post after you posted. You are post #13 And "if" you read, I said if your not, i gave him the other option in the link to the OP & that is what prompted you to comment me. Then you went on the silly snail & pump which you were focus on. I was number #14 by the way It's okay.....

Quote:
Here is everything you need plus step by step videos-
Overflow Box 1500 GPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare View Post
I'm with doing the overflow box- if you are not
Old 01-08-2015, 10:32 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Strange that you would agree, and then quote that 26 year HOB overflow guy in the same post. I stand corrected.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:25 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Strange that you would agree, and then quote that 26 year HOB overflow guy in the same post. I stand corrected.
Nothing strange- The quote from the website was meant for sniperhank using the CPR & the OP to read the wall of txt but it went the other way. The less accessories that can fail, the better was my point on the CPR and siphon lost on start up if the aquapump failed. (Again, i rather drill baby drill!!) Ive read way too many stories on the issues with the CPR and even some on the eshopp one's and others that are similar but not the same. I have yet to find any bad reviews on the life reef from any forums or friends using it. All i see is drill, if not, other member recommending the life reef because they are using it. One guy post was in 2011 and he was still using it since 1998 with no issues. I think with such good reviews from their products and their customer service side it's the way to go "if" not drilling.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:37 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actually, I happen to like the cpr overflows because of the aqualifter pump. The only problem I've encountered was that the pump wears out over time. I think I ended up replacing my pump about yearly. When they fail they don't just stop- they start pulling less and less air until they are so weak they no longer work.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Actually, I happen to like the cpr overflows because of the aqualifter pump. The only problem I've encountered was that the pump wears out over time. I think I ended up replacing my pump about yearly. When they fail they don't just stop- they start pulling less and less air until they are so weak they no longer work.
The less accessories that can fail, the better.

Tags
advice, ate, big, conversion, fresh, freshwater, salt, saltwater, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com