big freshwater-saltwater conversion. need expert advice from the best

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You want to aid for 1 lbs per gallon for both sand and rock. You will want to look into lights, as it is the most expensive part of a reef tank.
The taotronics LEDs are the best for your money and will cover 2ft of tank length.
The canister filters can work in saltwater, but we normally will aim towards a sump for extra equipment as unkept canisters lead to nitrate traps and reefs aim for pristine water.

Just wondering, when you guys advise the 1 lb per gallon, do you account for displaced water? Say I have a ten gallon but only 7 gallons of actual water volume when I have ten pounds of LR?

Just wondering, when you guys advise the 1 lb per gallon, do you account for displaced water? Say I have a ten gallon but only 7 gallons of actual water volume when I have ten pounds of LR?

Nah, we just go with total tank volume. It's too much work to account for displacement :D

Haha that makes sense. If anything, you have more LR than you might need, but that can't hurt. Thanks. :)

Anything close to that number is fine. The most rock you can fit and the tank still be aesthetically pleasing and functional is best. You don't want so much rock in the tank that there's no swimming room or you can't achieve proper flow.

Im going to drill the hole. pay 130$ for an overflow box

Sent from my SM-T217S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
It said it is used in tanks 30-60 gallons. Would i need a bigger one?

Sent from my SM-T217S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just take a look around. They have ones that will flow up to 3000gph I linked the wrong part of the site.

Back
Top Bottom