Big on getting a large tank, not big on the price.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TyFighter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Reefers, I'm Looking to begin an 80-120 gallon reef tank in the near future. I started with a 15 gallon nano and I'm now ready to really get going with a bigger setup. Im a big fan of the Innovative marine Nuvo SR series. But Im not a fan of the price :p

But hey, it's an expensive hobby to have developed a passion for. I'm willing to save up and make that move eventually, but in the mean time, does anyone know of some more affordable tank manufacturers out there? Or of some tanks that that are comparable?

I'd appreciate any advice people might have for moving up in this hobby.

Best,
Ty

Look around for a nice sed tank. There are reefers dropping out of the hobby all the time for may reasons. I just picked up this tank stand and sump for $400.00 from a fellow reefer. 120G dual durso IMG_5017.jpgoverflows.Deals are out there u just need to keep your eyes open

I have a 6 foot 125 gallon and I got it on Craigslist for $500 with sump, pumps, heaters, sand and liverock. New it would probably have been $4000 all in but as a package on craigslist it was really affordable. I then got a really good used skimmer for $100 and bought 3 ebay LED units for $100 each. Tank looks killer and for a big reef didn't cost that much to get going...

Now stocking it on the other hand...lol

How important is rimless to you?

At that size, if cost a concern a standard 4ft 90g or 6ft 125g on a wooden stand with a sump underneath will be vastly cheaper. Even more so if you go the DIY route on the sump.

Keep in mind with a large tank comes larger equipment which in turn is additional $$ to the tank cost. I probably have $1K between my trigger sump return pump skimmer and heaters. You defiantly have to think about the whole thing. 80-100lbs of sand, 100-150 lbs of rock. It is a great hobby but the joke is light and burn $500.00. If you are okay with that then you are ready for the hobby LOL! This is a 40B which is my other tank. It is an awesome reef tank 36" X 18" X 17" IMG_4967.jpg

I agree that it is important. But there is no need to be defiant about it. :D

No attitude here. Just trying to help a future aquarist save spending outside of intended planned budget. I know because I really had no idea how much I would spend once I got hooked LOL! Best hobby which everyone can enjoy around you. We just do all the work [emoji12]

He was making a joke about how you spelled definitely as defiantly...not actually saying you had attitude lol.

He was making a joke about how you spelled definitely as defiantly...not actually saying you had attitude lol.

Oh lol! Thought it was weird since I was trying to be nice [emoji2] [emoji226] [emoji225] [emoji222] [emoji97]

Did not realize I misspelled it. What do you expect from a trade school guy LOL

I see everyone trying to help you save money

here is a good example of what they are trying to explain to you .

I went new with everything when I got my 90 g a few years back set me back around $3500. ,

now if I went the same set up but used I could have achieve the same thing for about half.

No one is telling you anything to mislead you just showing how you can save some money .

remember not all used tanks are worth it you can most of the time visually tell if things were maintained .

Always look around at a few setups before you decide don't jump on the first thing you see unless your sure it's the right one . if the seller is trying to push it on you there is probably something he is not telling you.

the more you look around you will find that diamond in the ruff In other words used but well maintained , along with everything you need to get you up and going

always remember the final decision is yours

glad to see your considering upgrading and look forward to your build

good luck

Thank you for the advice everyone! I am not in a huge rush to try and get this new setup going overnight.

I will look around for online posts of people in my area getting out of the hobby.

Sooner or later I'm bound to come across something that might be the right fit for me and what I would like to create with this next tank.

I learned a lot of things from setting up my first aquarium. One of the biggest things I learned was to have patients and to do all my research well ahead of time.

I was so excited to get started with my first setup that I didn't really do enough research. I had to stumble a lot and Learn things as I went.

There were a lot of things that, if I had only known about them from the beginning, would have saved me a lot of frustration, time, and money.

I'm excited to share more about how this venture progresses as I start building the new set up.

Thanks again everyone!

Back
Top Bottom