Big Problem?!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snoopybdb

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 2 clown fish that i got a carpet anenome for like a week ago. They finally discovered it this morning. One of my cleaner shrimp was a little too close to the anenome and got attacked. Now one of the clown fish has one of the shrimps antanne stuck in it's mouth. Will it get it out on it's own or what? I tried to catch it, but it's hard with all the rock in the tank.

Chances are the shrimp will become food for the anemone. My clarkii clown was very good at "herding" food towards its carpet. The aggression from this anemone cannot be understated. I think that at this point, there is really nothing you can do.

Thank you for the help. The question I really was asking is that once the clown grabed the cleaner shrimp, the shrimp got away but the clown got one of the antanne stuck in its mouth. Will the clown spit out the antanne or will it stay there. Should I try to catch the clown and pull out the antanne? I'm afraid that he will not be able to spit it out and will not eat any food.

Update:

Wow I'm just amazed! The smaller clown fish just grabed the cleaner shimp and swam the whole lenth of the tank with the shimp and feed it to the anenome. Does this mean that I will no longer be able to keep cleaner shimp in the tank any more? I have a 2nd cleaner shimp in the tank, will this one become food for the anenome also?

I can't believe how the clowns reacted. Its just wow!

That is very interesting. Makes no sense that the thing would get stuck. But it looks liek it is. Very strange. I think I would try to catch him and pull the thing out. IS the fish able to eat?

I would also suggest trying to remove it.

If you have the option, I would try a fish trap first. i would be worried that catching the fish in a net might cause the antenna to push deaper or tear whatever it's cough on. (it could be his gills if it's going in through his mouth)

once you have him out, just use gentle force to pull it out. Other than that it's hard to suggest a fix. You might want to consider vitamin suppliments in it's food if you're not already doing so, to boost his immune system to keep any scratches/wounds from getting infected. Your LFS should have some supliments, like selcon or garlic additives.

Ok here is an update:

I put some food in the tank and the larger clown did it and the antanne went down with it. As I was outside walking the dog when I came back inside the smaller clown had my 2nd cleaner shrimp on was giving it to the anenome. So now I have no more cleaner shrimp @ $20 a pop that is some costly anenome food! I asked this before but does this mean I can no longer have cleaner shrimp in the tank? Will the 2 clowns keep feeding them to the anenome?

I have had the 2 clowns for about a year now and until I got a bigger tank I didnt have the room for an anenome, I did not know that the clowns acted in this way. What if anything can be done about them feeding the cleaner shrimp to the anenome? Will they try to feed my 2 tangs, purple fire fish or may manderin goobie to the anenome? I have been watching them all day and there are even going after my crabs! This is crazy the anenome has been in the tank for a week now and I guess that they said hey he needs food? After the 1st shrimp went down I feed the anenome a silver side, is anenome full yet?

I have only seen clowns feed a anemone shrimp if they were not healthy. How long had you had the shrimp and were they in good health?

They were fine as far as I could tell. One was has been with them for about six months and the other one for about a week. The anemone settled down to were the 2 shrimp hung out in the rocks. I guess the clowns didnt want like the shrimp in the area? I saw the crab on a rock next to the anemone and then the 2 clowns went after him, but I guess he could fight back and got away?

wow, your clownfish are not very nice. LOL. I have to admit it would have been cool to see them drag the cleaner into the carpet.

This will repeatedly happen, it will also happen with other fish. My carpet at a very large lawnmower blennie and a small porcupine puffer. Yes, I know it did as it regurgitated the heads for some reason. (no one has ever been able to tell me if this is common or not)

Should I take out the anemone and let the clowns go back to the nice fish that they once were? They have been chasing my purple fire fish for a few hours now! I just dont know what to do! I got the anemone to make the clowns happy and just turned them in to crazy fish.

ok so i called the lfs, and the guy there told me that the clowns might try to be mate. (since they are in the anenome together)They were paired when i got them. To move them to a tank by themselves with the anenome and watch them. Any body else think this could be the case?

Snoopybdb said:
ok so i called the lfs, and the guy there told me that the clowns might try to be mate. (since they are in the anenome together)They were paired when i got them. To move them to a tank by themselves with the anenome and watch them. Any body else think this could be the case?

they do not need to be in a separate tank to have babies. In fact, that would actually probably just stress them further which you want to avoid. Unless you sole intent is to raise clownfish, you really don't need to isolate them like that. They will reproduce regardless. I would leave them and maybe consider returning the carpet if you want to have other things in the tank.

well i had to move them for the time being until i decide what I want to do with them. They were so aggressive that after they fed the anenome the 2 cleaner shrimp, they started going after the purple firefish and the manderin goby, even though they hadn't messed with the anenome. They are being very protective of it, which is why the guy at the lfs said they might be mating. Also why they keep feeding it stuff that that they are trying to "fatten" up the anenome to lay the eggs. It's the bigger clown that keeps up with feeding and protecting which from what I understand the larger of 2 clowns is supposed to be the female. Which would make sense if she is the one that's "nesting"

Snoopybdb said:
well i had to move them for the time being until i decide what I want to do with them. They were so aggressive that after they fed the anenome the 2 cleaner shrimp, they started going after the purple firefish and the manderin goby, even though they hadn't messed with the anenome. They are being very protective of it, which is why the guy at the lfs said they might be mating. Also why they keep feeding it stuff that that they are trying to "fatten" up the anenome to lay the eggs. It's the bigger clown that keeps up with feeding and protecting which from what I understand the larger of 2 clowns is supposed to be the female. Which would make sense if she is the one that's "nesting"

hmmmm, that's news to me. But it's totally possible i guess. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Yeah I have no idea either, but I do know it would be super cool if they did lay eggs and they hatched and made it!

Wow. Good thing you decided to move your clown fish. I had the same problem in the past and ended up losing allot of fish and had to do the same.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jacob - Live Rock N Reef

Back
Top Bottom