Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2007, 10:09 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Congrats on the upgrade! Just think of al that new LR you will have to haul down into the basement.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:20 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Congrats on the upgrade! I can't wait to see pics and stuff.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:33 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Worth noting... My friend has a 180 and laments the type of tank he chose because it has two support bars across the top that cause shadows in the tank... If he had different lighting or a different style tank (apparently not all of them are like that)... Then he wouldn't have this problem..
A friend of mine has the exact tank I am getting and I did not see an issue with his. I think I might have to center my 4ft fixture for a temp solution and that could make the braces be an issue. I guess I just need to get my lighting figured out. I had planned on getting a single retro kit but I will need some actinic supplementation or I will have a dark side when the MH goes off. I can build a 2x32 or a 2x96 pretty cheap but I want it simple

Quote:
Congrats on the upgrade! Just think of al that new LR you will have to haul down into the basement.
I actually don't' worry too much about this. I have about 50-75 lbs of LR in my sump right now. It is not pretty but will work. I am going to limit the LR in the display this time. I feel my current tank is just too stuffed. I have seen some tank lately that are more wide open and they look nice. Of course, I have to have something to mount the coral on. We will see what happens.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:08 PM   #14
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Way to go Ellisz. That`s a mighty fine aqisition. I remember when I went from my 55 to my 125. It was exciting as is this.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:16 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Crazy thing is that the local Aquarium club is having a meeting at my house in 2 weeks. I had hoped to have this done! I doubt that will happen
Old 03-04-2007, 03:24 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Congrats on the new set up. Regarding LR, I've been noticing tanks where less seems to be more lately too- I like them. Can't wait for pics.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:38 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Got the frame base built today and materials to skin the stand and frame/skin the canopy. I'll get some pics tonight. Nothing exciting though
Old 03-05-2007, 12:23 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

do show!
Old 03-06-2007, 12:07 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

OK, here are a few test pics. My wife wanted to see what the trim was going to look like so she covered up my frame. The canopy frame is laying on top of the stand and I need to add the 12" height pieces to complete the skeleton. We thought we knew what trim we wanted but the stand looks bigger than we planned. The trim looks too small Hopefully we can take some of this back. Got to love the DIY work

We hope to stain this but not sure how this will all turn out. My last stand was a bit more simple. Don't laugh ...

I am trying to decide on a skimmer too. With the tank, sump and frag tank, I am looking at 265 gal and I have a deal on a bigger frag tank that would add another 60 gal. Skimmer is this range are pricey and I am cheap
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stand2_160.jpg (35.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg stand1_367.jpg (36.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 03-06-2007, 10:33 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Looks nice! Are you planning on having it flush with the wall, or will you have some space behind to work?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com